A focusing speed question 85/50 1.8 to 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TVayos, Aug 3, 2007.

1. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I am looking at the 85 1.8/85 1.4 and the 50 1.8/50 1.4, both lens were tested on a d80.

I went to B&H today to handle them at the counter. The 85 1.8 was slower and took longer to lock focus, did they drop it in the store or is this typical of these lens?

The 50 1.4 was much faster then the 85 1.8 to lock focus. I did not test the 1.8

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference to how quickly these lens focus on a subject? Is one slower then the other? Is there a greater degree of focus accuracy?

I have read about the other differences but nothing in this area, was this just a messed up store display sample?

2. Well none of them are af-s, but focus accuracy shouldnt vary.(speed but not accuracy, thats up to the cameras af not to the lens in it self)

The biggest factor is you, in other words if you might have alot harder to nail the shot with a 85mm/1,4 then with the 1,8. due to size diffrence.

Your d80 hasnt the strongest motor in it, so there shouldnt be a suprise that the 50mm focus a little faster then the 85mm wich is a longer lens.

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    My 85/1.8 is definitely slower to focus than my 50/1.8. I can't speak for any of the other two since I've never handled them.

4. Should be the same on your D40 though..:eek::wink:

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    My wrist focusing screw is damn quick but tends to hunt and rebound a bit! :biggrin:

6. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I understand that the camera in drives the auto focus in these primes. I was wondering if anyone went from 85 1.8 to 1.4 and found the auto focus speed to be different? The sample I used in the store of the 85 1.8 was much slower then the 85 1.4, this stopped me from buying it.

I found it easier in the store to nail the shot with the 1.4 then the 1.8, the 50 1.4 was quick and responsive but not long enough for my needs.

Is there a problem with the sample I used or have others experience this too?

7. richinnj

richinnj Guest

focus speed

I find that the 1.8 is slower focusing and is also a bit noiser than the 1.4.
    The 1.4 is really quick - I don't find it slower than an S motor lens.

The 1.8 is also rear focusing, the 1.4 is internal focusing - not that I know why that would make the 1.8 slower or noiser.

The Nikon site describes both internal and rear as "For fast focusing" but everything is relative.
    rich

8. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

The RF on the 85 1.8 turns the focus ring, whereas the IF on the 85 1.4 only has to move internal elements. It's interesting to note though, that the DC lenses both have RF, but the focus rings are stationary during AF operation.