A fog machine, Nikon 12-24, an ancient D100-IR and a spare room.

Discussion in 'People' started by Czechman01, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Trust your instincts... I preach it every chance I get. Then, every once in a while, the planets align just so, lady luck smiles and magic happens.

The Cafe's own Laura Johnston drove up from Wilmington to shoot with Stuart and me last Saturday and brought her "find", a beautiful young woman - Tara Sova. They go to UNC Wilmington and Laura discovered her a short time ago, did some test shots and thought she would work well with Stu and me. This was Tara's first studio shoot.

I had planned for this shot...
    original.
    ... and while we were setting it up Stuart saw that the lighting was working for some portraits and 3/4 shots despite the fact that the softbox was aimed at the floor. So while I'm laying on the floor shooting Laura's boot, Stu is doing portraits of her... talk about multi-tasking - Laura is just the best model to work with... anything to get the shot!

Then I realized my infrared converted D100 was close by with a Nikon 12-24 mounted so I figure "why not?" The whole idea behind this shoot was to stretch creatively and by this time the stops were being pulled out with a vengeance. So the D2X gets shelf duty and I shot most of the session in IR.

First, a behind-the-scenes look at the studio and then on to the results.

Left to right... MUA Eileen Harrison, Model Laura Johnston, Model Tara Sova(in the background), and Stuart (Ottrott's Human)discussing the setup while looking at the LCD on his Xs. Note the homemade low-profile hairlight, reflector and just the slightest amount of lens flare. :biggrin:
    original.

Laura in IR
    original.

Laura and Tara in a high key mist.
    View attachment 88461

More Laura

More Tara Sova (PG implied content)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Those are amazing Woody.

3. The "Laura in IR" image is a really cool shot. Nice work!

4. You are having way too much fun Woody. Each of your shots in this series is unique and well done. I love image #2 and find the whole process fascinating. Your IR shot of Laura shows what can be done with that camera and gives some of us the impetus to experiment on our own. She is gorgeous in this shot and the IR effect on her skin is just great. Your new model Tara works well with her mentor. Thanks for sharing these images.

5. Holy Cow!!! Talk about pushing the envelope!! I have a boatload of vacation time coming up, and you're making me want to drive to NC just to watch you work. These shots are really creative (love the boot shot), I'll look at the others when I get home.

I'm sure it's difficult to be in the presence of beautiful women all the time... :biggrin:

6. Now this is what I call "thinking out of the box..............!"

Inspiring and exciting images Woody............ in a class of their own.

G

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

The funny thing is that I was looking at one of Stu's post where he linked to the models websites...I saw these and immediatley recognized Laura. The images were stunning, and the first photographer that popped into my head was Woody. A few minutes later, I stumbled across this thread and it confirmed my suspicions.

8. I am struggling to come up with words discriptive enough to express what I see, without being cliche'. Without making up some new words I just can't seem to do it. I'm just sitting here shaking my head at my monitor.

WICKEDAWESOMESPECTACULARICIOUS!

9. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    Brilliant!!

Brilliant..Brilliant Just Brilliant!!

Marcos.

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Holy crap Woody!!!:eek: Your mind is an amazing place.

4: Like a beautiful daydream fantasy.

3: Laura is so amazingly beautiful, but I see an element of horror almost.....I want love her, but I may become possessed, or she may even kill me.

2: There's an obvious intensity in the room - creative juices abound.

1: The naughty and the nice, fire and ice......

These are off the hook..........did somebody put LSD in the water down there??:smile:

11. Woody, that last shot is tremendous...they are all good, but I got goose bumps from that last one...spectacular...just spectacular...

12. I love the first one Woody....
    Well executed!

Tim

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

WOW! WOW! WOW! and --------------> WOW!

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Dumbfounded again

These are simply spectacular Woody! Laura and her Tara are so beautiful in these shots! Even the boot shot is awesome. Just when I think I might be getting somewhere with my work, I see this and realise how far I've got to go.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Love the first one
    Excellent

16. Thanks Joshua!

Thank you Brian, it's my favorite too.

Thanks Gordon, IR is a challenge especially in the studio and I think the "mood" of the medium works well with the "mood" of concept in this case and that's what makes the shots.

Oh yea, it's real glamorous being me :rolleyes: The public perception of what goes on in these shoots is 180 degrees off. It is ALL business. There is so much prep involved and it takes so long that everyone involved is under a lot of pressure to get things right. Even when we break for lunch you can feel the tension... it never quits until the last frame and by then everyone is so beat they can't wait to go home and relax. Except for the photographers who wind up spending the next couple days editing. It's too intense not to be fun though.

Thank you Graeme!

I'm flattered you recognized my work. Thank you.

:biggrin:

Thank you Marcos!

Fred, That's one of the best compliments I could hope for. I'm really trying to be more creative and freewheeling in the studio and a comment like yours validates my efforts.

Thanks John, there are technical issues with it, but it does have a look.

Thanks Tim!

Thank you... I often think of Kaylee and keep her in my prayers.

Thank you Steve. The best advice I ever got regarding this form of photography is to shoot with your heart and process with your brain.

Thank you Gale!

17. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    good job

18. gorgeous work......great lighting, styling, perfect composition....
    all very well executed....
    great work Woody...

19. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Woody,

All are simply amazing! I LOVE the last!! Deep!!

Mike

20. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

Very nice!!!! Great creative work. It's not fair, you and Stuart look like your having fun over there, I can only look at your creativity over here in the UK and get inspired. Keep up the encouraging work, I'm absorbing both your creativity:smile: :smile: :smile:

Jase:smile: