A follow-up...

So, some of you might remember my little rant the other week... Now, I'm normally not one for ranting at all much less twice in such a short time, so I'll try to keep this lighthearted... :smile:

I took a short, one night trip this weekend to Joshua Tree with the intention of getting some cool star trails shots. Even bought the power adapter for my D2X (which barely arrived on time... another topic for another rant!!! :eek: :wink:). Got my brothers and a couple of buddies together Friday afternoon, and drive out to Indian Coves campground (BTW, this is the worst campground in the park, if you are thinking of going stay away!!! ((so I can have it all to myself, I truly love it!!! LOL))

We good around for the afternoon, eat dinner, and await the stars. Campsite is perfect, north facing, great view and set-up for some shots, got the camera set up on tripod, test shots done, exposure set. 9 o'clock rolls around, it's nice and quiet, campers are settling down, so I begin my first 1hr+long sequence.

I kid you not, it wasn't 15 minutes into this set when the campground came alive... within 10 minutes, over 20 vehicles drove by with their headlight shining right into camp!!!... 6 vehicles tried to turn around right in front of where we were set up with their headlights shining into my shot... then across the little "valley" of the camp where my camera is aimed, a large group arrives, backs into their spots, and leave their headlights on for 10-15 minutes while they unpack. Then, what must have been 20-30 kids run around with flashlights blazing, lanterns spark up, and fires blaze, every one of them within the parameters of my shot, all throwing their light up into the sky... add to that the amount of dust from the vehicles driving by and my shots for the night were ruined.

Well, I did end up having a great time just camping and hanging out, and the hike the next day was one of the best ever, so overall I was happy with the trip... but I thought I would post this as more a humerous "rant" just to show you that even when I try to "get away", I simply can't do it!!! :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad but funny at the same time. I feel for you I really do. Please come out to Oregon and we'll head out to the Alvord Desert http://marlimillerphoto.com/Dep-17.html
where isn't a sole for miles let alone any light. Well except for the full moon. Last year I made the trip out for the purpose of shooting star trails but didn't bother to check where the moon would be, yep full moon. Could barely see the stars it was so bright out :smile:

Better luck next time!

I started to get frustrated and then quickly realized the futility in that... what was I supposed to do, run out in the road and wave away very car that came by??? :biggrin: I was wishing I had brought my father-in-law's road closed signs!!! :eek: I had even checked that the night was a new moon, researched which site to reserve for the best view and everything... was I ever prepared!!! :smile:

Yup, nothin' worse than those damned humans getting in the way of good photography! :biggrin: Public campground does not equal peace and quiet.

Yup, nothin' worse than those damned humans getting in the way of good photography! :biggrin: Public campground does not equal peace and quiet.

I sure figured that out!!! :smile: Good thing California is such a big state... there's gotta be SOME place I can go to get away from everyone!

Joshua Tree NP is so big that I'm sure you could've walked a few mins and found a human-free spot. :wink: btw, any pics? I'd love to camp there overnight.

I've been there, man - hanging out at Old Faithful at midnight, 2 hours from home and car after car thinks they need to illuminate the geyser with their headlights on a dark night....

Sean

Yeah... same scenario... I mean, who arrives in such large numbers at 9 at night???

Key word, "weekend." That's why I go during the week, of course, most people have real jobs and cant. :biggrin:

Unfortunatley, I have a job that doesn't allow me to just take off whenever... I teach, so...

Joshua Tree NP is so big that I'm sure you could've walked a few mins and found a human-free spot. :wink: btw, any pics? I'd love to camp there overnight.

I would have, except that for such long exposures, I was tied to my truck for power for my camera. And yeah, I'll get some pics posted in the next couple of days. If you go soon, the weather is still nice, and a lot of the canyons have water because of the recent rains, and the wildflowers should be out very soon... but all of that is very brief, so now is the time to go! :smile:

Well next time go to where it is snowy crappy and cold at night, then you will get all the privacy you need. Also the sensor will stay cooler.

That is true! I did have quite a bit of sensor/heat noise on the couple of long single exposures that I did... and I do want to go during the winter... sometimes there is even snow up there!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom