1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A former marshalling yard in Berlin [many pictures]

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by DanielD, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hello, I stumbled over pictures I've taken in a former marshalling yard in Berlin earlier this year. It's astonishing how much such a place can change in relatively short time.

This is what the marshalling yard looked in the 30's. The picture was taken from a water tower you'll see later:
    348300542_LP7rZ-O.

This is the water tower. The marshalling yard was used until sometime in the 50's. Doesn't look like a marshalling yard anymore...
    348299598_ZBnLX-O.

The area is a nature preserve now with tons of photo opportunies. All the rails, turnouts, ramps and other stuff is still there and gives a very interesting scenery:

(ok, this looks more like a recent addition :smile:) 
    348299966_rrw6R-O.

348300064_nATxt-O.

348300257_U4FFs-O.

348300327_MKR9W-O.

This looks as if it has a face :smile:
    348300480_xcwwm-O.

348299223_gS2e5-O.

348299371_yhSvm-O.

I found it impressive how a tree can lift such heavy rails:
    348299502_NWK3L-O.

348299548_CQSSw-O.

I was pleasantly surprised to run into a big steam engine. I didn't had a clue there was one standing in that area!
    348299760_bEMh4-O.

348299821_dMZ5G-O.

348299904_z5TS9-O.

Into the woods:
    348300166_MegpL-O.

Some of these pictures were made of several exposures to increase dynamic range. I used the tool "enfuse" the first time for this purpose as a test. Works fast and gives realistic results. However it doesn't preserve highlights as much as it could given the bracketed exposures, at least in detault configuration. I need to do some further testing to figure out.

Thanks for looking.

2. daniel
    a great thread
    it IS amazing how this area changed in the last 70+ years
    nice to have that old image for comparison

nicely shot
    i like them

thanks for sharing

3. Those are amazing!!! I find that now that I'm getting more into photography, its opening up my childhood fascination with trains again! Great photos and like you said, the rails and such running through modern day trees and buildings looks unique!

really enjoyed looking at those, thanks for sharing!

-Allen G.

4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Daniel,

what a wonderful series. I especially like the rails in the forest. This must be an awesome place to spend the day and take pictures. The steam engine is a great bonus.

5. Thanks, glad you like them. I think I'll go there a second time (at least) when there's better (more diffused) light. I bet there are some more photo ops waiting for me. :smile:

6. licaga

licaga

Jan 7, 2008
    Netherlands
    Peter Vooijs
    thanks for sharing this great series.

peter

7. Very nice series of pictures...
    and the history of then and now...
    with trees grown quite large in the tracks...
    and as you pointed out the tracks actually being lifted up!
    thanks for posting this series.

8. Great images, and an amazing place, thanks for the tour. I am surprised that so much steel was left unsalvaged, but that is a plus for you, makes it very interesting.

9. Thanks for the kind comments!

Yes, I had that thought too! Now that most of it is a nature preserve and the area being fenced in (between active railway tracks) I hope it is mostly save now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.