A forum mate suggested I convert this photo to B&W

_DSC1630.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The original color image above. I can see I should have cropped off from the left.
My attempt at converting below. Critique is always welcome.

_DSC1630-4.jpg

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
It looks tilted to me also. (look at the joining of the barn doors.)
It seems there is a basic clash between the attraction of the super-red barn and the prominence of the truck.
Which one is more important?

upload_2019-4-13_18-46-42.png

I love the old car in black and white, but because of the perspective of the comp, the color version gives more context to the barn and the distance. In this particular case, I vote for the color.

I sure appreciate all the critique. I’m a color person, so it’s probably why I didn’t do so well on the B&W. I think I’ll try again on a different photo. The wide angle distortion is causing problems too. I will correct it when I have a minute.

Last edited:
Next time I go to this area I think I will try to photograph it again taking an entirely different approach. Maybe a wide aperture making the truck the focal point and blurring the barn would be a better way to go. I sure appreciate all the comments. Now that all of you mention it, I can see that there isn't a clear subject in this photo....too many competing elements. It's a neat scene and I would like to try to see what I could do to make a better photo.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Next time I go to this area I think I will try to photograph it again taking an entirely different approach. Maybe a wide aperture making the truck the focal point and blurring the barn would be a better way to go. I sure appreciate all the comments. Now that all of you mention it, I can see that there isn't a clear subject in this photo....too many competing elements. It's a neat scene and I would like to try to see what I could do to make a better photo.
Focus on getting a strong composition....then the choice of color or B&W will sort itself out.

Next time I go to this area I think I will try to photograph it again taking an entirely different approach. Maybe a wide aperture making the truck the focal point and blurring the barn would be a better way to go.

I agree with Randy, the photo sings in color. Sky, red barn, grass. It works fine in color.

And you say the wide angle distortion is causing problems? I think not. I say keep the wide lens, but maybe get lower and a little closer to the truck. Then the background will separate automatically.

I agree with Randy, the photo sings in color. Sky, red barn, grass. It works fine in color.

And you say the wide angle distortion is causing problems? I think not. I say keep the wide lens, but maybe get lower and a little closer to the truck. Then the background will separate automatically.
I'll try it next time we are there. I haven't shot with wide lenses much. I've got a lot to learn.

Oh yes, do it! Wide lenses give such a cool perspective. They're not for everything of course, but a cool tool to have in your kit. And don't be afraid to get CLOSE!

I took an 8mm 3.5 Rokinon on my D7200 to Greece a coupe years ago. It's a $150 lens, and a lot of my favorite photos from that trip were made with it.

_DSC5547-L.jpg

_DSC5540-L.jpg

_DSC3792-XL.jpg

_DSC5632-L.jpg

Focus on getting a strong composition....then the choice of color or B&W will sort itself out.

Exactly. If you "think" in monochrome or color, depending on the scene, before releasing the shutter, everything sorts itself out even better.

One of the characteristics of monochrome images is that they work especially well for emphasizing lines. Indeed, that happens in your composition. The problem is that the lines in the composition compete with each other rather than complement each other. In summary, the composition for me isn't as strong in color as most of your images and it becomes even weaker as a monochrome.

Latest threads

Top Bottom