A Fourth of July, a long time ago….

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I understand our country is not perfect but I have never been to anywhere else I would want to call home. Last Thanksgiving, just one of my brothers, his wife, my wife, and myself sat around the table talking about the things that really mean a lot to us. Family was number one, but our country was high on the list.

My brother spread a map, still covered with mud, from Vietnam so long ago. He is a true hero, put in for the Silver Star, holds 3 bronze stars. I have a bronze star also from that conflict. For the first time, we really shared what happened, what we felt, and how even now we love the flag and our country.

One thing I will always remember as long as I live was when rockets hit an ammunitions dump several miles away from where I was on guard duty. Rockets did red flair and bombs did burst in the air….it was my Fourth of July in Vietnam and it seems like only yesterday.

May your fourth of July be fun, may you be surrounded by friends and family, and while watching those amazing fireworks displays, remember that you live in an amazing experiment of human endeavor and what it has taken to shape our home, America….we are privileged to live in her and serve her….

2. You're right Jeff. Glad you made it out in 1 piece. Thank you, and your Brother,,and the rest of the military here for your service !

3. Thank you for those words and for your family's duty to service. We are all free because we hate tyranny. Enjoy the 4th and I for one am glad that the 2nd Amendment was brought before the Supreme court to show that we all have rights, and one of them is to protect ourselves and our families, and no governments should infringe on that right.

4. Thank you for your service, Jeff.

5. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    here's something to think about:

2635858720_c9d84962d6_o.png

6. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Very well put Jeff. A big thank you goes out to you, your brother, and all of the other service men and women who have been there to protect our freedoms.

7. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Jeff thanx for sharing this story with us. Me and my family thank you and EVERY Veteran for the blood sweat and tears you so selflissly endured for US and OUR COUNTRY!!!!

8. Thank you for your service Jeff, and reminding us what the fourth of July, in the U. S., is truly about.
    I hope you do not mind me sharing my favorite photo.

large.jpg

9. Thank you Jeff...
    for your service in Nam...
    and your pride in your country...
    we appreciate you!

10. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Thank you all, hope you had a great fourth, spent it with my brother:)

Just thinking about the Nikon P6000