A friend just went from a D5100 to D600 - What does she need to know?

Any specific tips or tricks regarding such a huge upgrade?

DOF is shallower with FX... quite a bit in my unscientific estimation. :tongue: Other than that, I got nothing specific to those cameras...

She can buy a larger range of lenses now, shes not limited to DX and AF-S (assuming she wants autofocus as the D600 has a built in motor). She will need to change any DX lenses for FX otherwise she will be limited to 10mp or vingetting.

Theres the obvious like no flip out screen and different controls but generally if she knew her way around the D5100 then the D600 will be a welcome change.

Tell her to watch out for the file sizes too, they are much bigger due tot he higher resolution so if shes used to filling her SD cards up, she will need to carry extra.

the simple of it to me between DX and FX is..
you get what you mount..

50 mm is 50 mm
28 mm is 28 mm
I have dx and fx.. and when I need wide, I use FX as you get what you mount.
I do not have a d600, but D700 so cannot comment directly on D600..

I made this same switch.
Get matching SD cards, and FX lenses.
Spend a little time learning all of the additional features available in the menu.
Have her learn how the shutter mode dial works, and the DOF Preview and the additional FN button. Have her see how the bracket burst is different.
If she is using off-camera flash, then she needs to look at the Commander controls.

It's the photographer that makes the picture, not the camera. You can tell her that nothing has changed in that sense when going to a D600.

Work a lot on muscle memory. The camera has a lot more features available from the hand than having to go to the menu. Two command dials, more buttons, etc etc. It's a lot of change.

It's the photographer that makes the picture, not the camera. You can tell her that nothing has changed in that sense when going to a D600.

That is only partially true. The person and the action may still be the same, but the gear and the result has changed.
I noticed an immediate change in the image quality and DOF of my photographs when I changed to the D600, and many people emailed/messaged me immediately asking what I had changed - so they noticed it as well (and they were not photographers).

That is only partially true. The person and the action may still be the same, but the gear and the result has changed.
I noticed an immediate change in the image quality and DOF of my photographs when I changed to the D600, and many people emailed/messaged me immediately asking what I had changed - so they noticed it as well (and they were not photographers).

Ive noticed this too and its certainly something I need to keep in mind at all times especially as ill be shooting both FX and DX on shoots.

She needs to know that the D600 is prone to dust and/or oil on the sensor. She should check her camera immediately for this issue and recognize how and when the spots will affect her pictures. If she doesnt' already know how to wet clean a sensor she will have to learn. She should sort out how she feels and consider her options BEFORE the return period runs out.
Not meaning to sour the thread by bringing up a sensitive subject, but I couldn't call myself a gentleman without giving you a fair warning. But if you and her are both aware of the dirty sensor issue, then ignore me. :smile:

Well, the d600 is a significantly more complicated (and different) camera from the d5100. So while this may (or may not be true), learning to use your new camera is a pretty damn important.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom