A friend lost all camera gear in a fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveK, May 18, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    This past week, a woman named Jody lost most of her possessions in a house fire near Homer, Alaska. We are trying to help her with whatever we can. I offered her some of my old film cameras, but she'd been working with digital, and wants to replace the D70 she had with something alike or newer. So, if anyone has any digital bodies hanging around, and you are interested in selling them, please let me know with a PM or direct e-mail to steve(AT)naturephotography.net

I've invited her to join the nikon cafe (she managed to get her computer out just before the fire consumed the house). Please give her a warm welcome if you see her posting.

2. Sorry to hear this Steve. I sure am glad it was not a worse outcome and hope she recovers to normal as quickly as possible. I will keep an eye out for her as a new member in case she joins.
    Dave

3. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Thanks Dave.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sorry to hear that Steve.
    Wish I had some extras to give her.
    Will pray the camera Angels are above

5. I can loan her a D70 and an AF-S 24-85.

6. a superb gesture Mike!

7. jodyhusky

jodyhusky Guest

Hi Mike,
    Its Jody here, she of burning house fame! Still in a daze here really but glad I am alive. Your offer is amazing as I will be heading up on the Godwin Glacier next week. If you are happy for me to take your camera in this environment I would be very grateful if we could arrange to post here asap. I am sure the photo ops will be huge and a better camera would be great. I could then return at some stage over the next couple of months before I go home...what do you think?

Thanks again, Jody.

8. Send me a PM or an email with your name and address and I'll send the stuff as soon as I can. I am in my condo on the Virginia Eastern Shore just now and the camera and lens are at home in Frederick, MD. I'll be there sometime Monday afternoon. I get it out as soon as possible.

9. Hi all there
    I hope your friend hadn't lost anything really important... when the house fires, much more than just a camera vanishes..
    Anyway - and this is maybe off topic - I hope to come there soon.. Alaska is a kind of place that I always liked to visit. All northern America is so wide and various in its sceneries and landscapes (not to talk about the many different kind of people living there) that is really the photographer's heaven, I guess..

10. So sorry to hear this, at least no one got hurt.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Jody
    Sooooo soooo sorry to hear of this fire. I am glad you are ok.
    I know the memories will take awhile to get over.

I have a Sigma 28-135 with macro I would be glad to give you.
    Very nice lens, sharp and good color.
    I don't use it.

Sample pic
    http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/38282603