1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A fun fashion shot starring Freya

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by LindaZ, Aug 14, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I was just goofing around , and put my camera down away from my face to see what I could get, and while I cut off half her head, I still thought the photo turned out pretty good, regarding the composition.

What do ya think?

[​IMG]

2. I love this! Chopped heads are a trademark of mine, LOL! (and is that one of my actions? It looks like dirty dog.....)

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks! I shot it from my knee. I was thinking of you when I saw the photo, and incidentally, two of your actions turned out pretty good on it. Dirty Dog and Dusty Dog.
    I hardly ever use them, since my stuff is a little bit more traditional than yours, but on my own shots I like to experiment a little.

4. Really cute Linda... she has beautiful eyes.

5. great shot, linda
    i like it a lot

6. You make actions?! Where are they?! Heh.

The photo is beyond cute - looks like an ad. Very good! :smile:

7. here

The site's a little out dated, but that's where they are.... ;) 

8. Very cute shot. I don't mind chopped heads either, in fact I do it quite often as well. But for this shot, it's a little too chopped, but still a keeper for sure. Beautiful blue eyes, wow.

9. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you, I too think she has very pretty blue eyes.

Yes, I did shoot this from about my knee level bending down, so I didn't actually know where the focus would land or how it would be cropped - it's straight from camera. It's too chopped for my tastes as well.

Okay, so I believe I blown some parts in the post processing too? I kind of like the look, but it may have been over the top.

10. It's a side effect of those actions Linda. I sometimes bump the exposure under a bit before I run my actions. (I tend to underexpose, so they're set to my shooting style for the most part)

11. Oh, and dusty dog and dirty dog do beautiful things to blue and green eyes.... :Love:

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Right, I figured it was as such. It is actually underexposed to begin with. Do you still underexpose with your newer cameras? I am just curious if that's what you prefer to do, or if it was an effect of the D80.

Indeed :smile:

13. I normally don't anymore. The D80 was a completely different camera than these two. I just make adjustments prior to the actions now in ACR if I want to use one of them.

14. KissTheMoon

KissTheMoon

Jun 10, 2008
    Merry Land
    great photo. she has beautiful eyes...they seem endless!

15. I love this kind of stuff!

Many years ago I had a friend (yes, even I have friends) who would walk through crowds with his F3, Tri-X and 24mm with the camera at odd angles, shoulder height without looking through the viewfinder, tripping the shutter. He got some of the coolest images that way.

One of these days I just may try that myself... but it's kind of hard finding a crowd in a town of 600 people. :redface:

16. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Very cool Linda!!!! I love Sonya's actions, use them all the time.

17. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    She's certainly an adorable troublemaker. She loves dirt.

You do? I didn't realized that. Yes, hmm...well if you could make all of those 600 get together, you could certainly get some interesting shots.

I am not good at using them, but it worked for this image. Which are your favorites Kurt?

18. I'm confused here....is this meant to be a snapshot (which is what it sounds like from the way you describe taking it) or a more formal shot or what? No matter what the intent or methodology, it's a lovely image!

19. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Connie, the way I took the photo, I would consider it a snapshot. I mean, I shot it from my knee, aiming up at where I hoped her face was.
    But when I saw the photo, I saw it had the potential look of a fashion shot, it reminded me of some of the pictures I see in the current fashion magazines.

20. It does look like a fashion shot in a magazine, indeed.... A happy accident there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.