A fun meal

We had Ethiopian food for dinner tonight.
Injera (Ethiopian Flatbread) made by fermenting Teff flour for 2 days (a la sourdough) and the Ethiopian national dish, Doro Wat, a very spicy chicken stew. Everything was home made, including the Berbere spice mix (a mix of Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Green Cardamom Seeds, Dried Red Chili Peppers, Whole Allspice Berries, Whole Cloves, Fenugreek Seeds, Black Peppercorns, Sweet Paprika, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Turmeric, Ground Nutmeg, and Salt)

Injera is used as an eating utensil. A variety of stews, vegetables and/or salads are placed on a large piece of injera and guests use their right hands to tear portions of the injera which are used for gripping the food. The porous texture of the injera makes it ideal for soaking up the juices.

The wine we had was "Stanley Groovy" from he Wall, a winery in Walla Walla, WA. The wall is reference to the the State Penitentiary which is also in Walla Walla! The wine is a blend of traditional Portuguese grapes—Touriga Nacional (28%), Souzão (17%), Tinto Cão (4%), and the more well known Syrah (25%), Cab. Sauv (23%) and Mouvèdre (3%) all from Washington's famed Red Mountain AVA.

Life is good!

1.The spread.
Food001_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Doro Wat—yup, we had the chicken and the egg!

Food002_DxO.jpg

3. Injera
Food003_DxO.jpg

4. Served.
Food004_DxO.jpg

That looks really good!

Years ago my wife and I ate at the restaurant in Washington, DC that is most highly regarded among Ethiopians and everything was great except that we didn't like the injera. It had the same texture as yours but was off-white and had absolutely no flavor.

I drank a Portuguese wine made partially of Souzao for the first time just last week. I've had a wine made of Tinto Cao just once and it was blended with Norton by a Virginia winery.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Nice dinner.

I had injera everyday during my Ethiopia trip 3 years ago.

Real Name
Chris
That wonderful Phil! I’m sure the ‘native’ food is better, just based on the sources of the ingredients. I am jelly. Once both of us retired, we were gonna travel so many places...
My wife, Becky and I ate fairly often at Cafe Lalebella, which some of my Ethiopean students told me was “pretty authentic”. The fun factor of the bread is the best part, but i do enjoy their stews though!

As a doctor, you’ll understand: I took dronabinol, an apptite enhancer, and everything just seem soo de lish us.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
The DC metro area is the second-largest Ethiopian city in the world -- second only to Addis. We have so many wonderful Ethiopian restaurants here. Ethiopian cuisine is really unique -- nothing like the mix of flavors in my experience. Injera is not really good unless it's made from teff and so sour it almost makes you gag.

Thanks folks. Although I always loved to cook (and eat), under Covid I've had plenty of time and reason to push into new directions. Injera really does turn sour and yucky looking as it ferments. I used dark Teff that has a stronger nutty flavor. The stew was fun and easy to make, even though it takes over 4 hours of cooking. What's amazing is that while the ingredients and spices are very similar to what would go in many an Indian curry, the taste is completely different. The cooking technique really does make a difference!

Bill, I had my first Ethiopian food in DC some 25 years ago. Since then I've enjoyed it in Minneapolis, Seattle and Boise—and now Moscow :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I really appreciate your photographing this meal! Fascinating descriptions also! What an interesting life you have had..... and ARE having!

Latest threads

Top Bottom