A funny forest

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by fjp, Jun 11, 2005.

1. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Check out this forest:

http://www.pbase.com/fjp/mb_2005_06_04

I think it is rather whimsical. I'm sure few people have ever seen a forest like this much less walked through one, and people who have actually been in this type forest seldom stop to appreciate their unique beauty, because they're generally near the top of something and are streaking towards it without giving a thought to what they are walking through. Believe me, I've seen it happen many times. These photos were taken from 4,000 to about 3,500 feet.

This is a Silver Fir forest. They thrive in cold, wet, foggy conditions, and as you can see, grow exceeding close together, which makes the forest looks so whimsical. This is actually Old Growth. Not all Old Growth consists of fat trees. These Silver Firs are mostly 9 inches to 3 feet in diameter with occasional "giants" as big as four to five feet in diameter.

Unfortunately, somehow I made a mistake when I posted these pictures and the first couple dozen are much too large to show on your monitor at full size. Just click on "Large" to tame down the size.