A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Photograph Orchids - An Owl Showed Up!

I recently made a whirlwind trip to northern Minnesota to photograph a couple of species of wild orchids. This is the same area I go in the winter for a variety of wildlife. As I was cutting across the bog to another location I spotted this great gray owl less than 20 feet off the road. It allowed me an hour of it's time including a quick dive for a meal. I may have to split into a couple of posts as I got close to 500 keeper shots. I was able to utilize 2 bodies and 2 lenses. The bird even allowed me to change my position slightly as light changed the background. I hope you find these enjoyable.

p2615886151-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p2615902909-5.jpg

p2615903600-5.jpg

p2615894962-5.jpg

p2616247531-5.jpg

p2615899715-5.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Superb! What a reward for being out in the field! Since you were hunting orchids, I'm very surprised you had your long lenses with you! Well done!

Wow
You handled the situation really really well. Luck favors the prepared
Nicely done
thanks for sharing
gary
Thanks, Gary. I was working out of the car so I had the 500 f/4 and the 200-500VR with me.
Superb! What a reward for being out in the field! Since you were hunting orchids, I'm very surprised you had your long lenses with you! Well done!
Thanks, Karen. When I travel hundreds of miles by car, I usually take a little bit of everything. I must admit I was hoping to spot a great gray. People living in the area had been seeing a few over the weeks leading up to my trip. But, I have traveled up there in -20 degree weather and been skunked several times.
By the way, I did get some orchid shots as well as a couple bird species "firsts" for me. Very successful trip.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Gary. I was working out of the car so I had the 500 f/4 and the 200-500VR with me.

Thanks, Karen. When I travel hundreds of miles by car, I usually take a little bit of everything. I must admit I was hoping to spot a great gray. People living in the area had been seeing a few over the weeks leading up to my trip. But, I have traveled up there in -20 degree weather and been skunked several times.
By the way, I did get some orchid shots as well as a couple bird species "firsts" for me. Very successful trip.
Ah...... I agree. With a vehicle I carry ALL my gear.....just in case! When walking.......not! LOL!

You must be blessed. Love the feet, the look like they’re covered in fur.
Thanks. It was unseasonably hot in the north woods. This was the last thing I expected to see. And then to have him so cooperative ..... Anything else on the trip was just gravy. (And, I got quite a bit of that, too!)
Lovely set Aaron. Its great when you go out looking for something and you end up with another subject as a bonus.
Thank you. This was the most successful trip I have taken in quite some time. 2300 miles in 4 days and hundreds of good photos of many species of plants and animals.

Excellent photos of the owl. Lucky opportunity, and you took good advantage of it.

Are you going to show us the orchids?

What a find! Except when I am in Florida and there are always birds around, I find trips for wildlife cn be hit or miss. You did very well capturing the moment you had.

Excellent photos of the owl. Lucky opportunity, and you took good advantage of it.

Are you going to show us the orchids?
Thanks, Jim. I am working on those now. I have a few posted on my Zenfolio page in the Sax-Sim Bog Gallery. More to come.
What a find! Except when I am in Florida and there are always birds around, I find trips for wildlife cn be hit or miss. You did very well capturing the moment you had.
Thank you, Allan. I was even luckier than I indicated. There was nobody else around, which is unusual for this area. People come from all over the country. At times there are 20-40 people viewing and photographing the same bird. In addition, while I was viewing the owl the sun poked up over the trees behind me providing a nice front-lighting situation. So nice when things click.

Nice find and well captured. One of my favorite birds to photograph.
Thanks, Bill. I have had the chance only a few times. But, I'll take any owl I can find. I think I am up to 6 or 7 species.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom