A funny thing happened yesterday on the way....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Aug 3, 2005.

1. home. My cell phone rings, and it is my wife calling. Now, you might ask, why is that funny? First thing you have to do is to imagine her voice, slightly breathless, a bit low, and obviously excited......got your attention now :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nancy: "I'm upstairs, where is MY camera? I looked at yours and it has that big lens on it, I'm not going to try to lift it."

Me: "It is in the bag on the bed in the guest room. What's up?"

Nancy: "That Woodpecker is back in the yard, I hope it waits until I get there. OK, I found it, what do I do now?"

Me: "Take off the lens cap, turn on the camera and go."

Nancy: "OK, the bird is still in the yard, goodbye :!: "

Now, this is from someone who, not much more than a month ago, used to say "Why do you EVER take more than 1 picture of anything :?: :?: :?: "

The end result was 8 pictures taken before the bird flew off. Unfortunately, for 2 reasons, none of them are in-focus enough to post but they were more than good enough to identify the bird as a Downy and not a Hairy Woodpecker. The two focus issues were that I had left the D70 with focus on the back-button and Nancy was trying to shoot through a screen door. However, the excitement is the main point of this post. Not the excitement of "I see a new bird at the feeder", but the excitement of "I want to photograph it", and even more importantly the annoyance that the focus wasn't perfect.

I know how thrilled I am when I see a new behavior in the field, or find a new subject to photograph, but there is NOTHING like the excitement you hear from someone who is now getting started. This is really one of the very GOOD Unintended Consequences :wink:

2. Wish some of the members in my family would take up an interest in photography. Would make things a little more fun. But, as it is, I enjoy my alone time communing with nature.

3. I got a chuckle out of your story Bill. My wife could not turn on the camera either and wouldn't have a clue as to taking a picture. Now get out there and teach your wife how to focus the darn thing.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Just wait until you both grab for the same lens! ... :twisted:

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That's becoming the problem around here!

6. This is NOT good news!!!! I can see HUGE bills for new equipment in the near future! *LOL* There is a good side to this though, the next time you get lens lust, you can come out with the ol' salespitch "well, if I get THAT lens, then I'll give you THIS lens and you'll be able to take such and such pics with it, wouldn't that be terrific??!!!" *LMAO*

Congrats on the newbie photog.... Post one up for us anyway... just so we can see what she was looking at...

7. LOL! I sort of wish I had the problem of my family not wanting to be involved in photography. I'm always having to share my D70 with my hubby and my 6-yr-old ;) If we could afford a second D70 we'd be all set....my daughter has her own Kodak p&s, but it's nowhere near as fun as mom's D70, where she can zoom the lens in and out!

I'm glad your wife is getting into it all. It is nice when our families share our hobby :)

8. Bill... you created a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Thanks, all.

Kevin: I still get my "alone time" as well, something about "up at dawn" that is not yet intersting enough :lol: , but it really is nice to have this to share.

Gordon: The thing is getting Nancy to remember that I may have left the focus on the Back Button, or that the silly lever on the camera might be changed :oops:. I'm the one that will suffer for it in any case :lol:. Normally she does pretty good now with Manual focus, I think the screen door really hurt in this case. But I sure am glad she tried.

Chris: This is exactly why I have some overlap in my lenses. She gets the 70-200VR most of the time, and I'm using either the 120-300 f2.8 or the 500mm f4.5. Hmmm, wonder if I can figure out how to add the 200-400VR....... :wink:

Leigh: Who wins :?: :?: :?: Is it a Tug-O-War :?: :?: :?:

Sandi: See my reply to Chris. Now I just have to figure out the 200-400VR thingy..... By the way, I saw your vacation post and your comment on YOU and the D70. Hubby being locked out or something :?: :?: I'll add that image after I get home tonight....

Sommer: This all started because the Coolpix 995 was "too slow". Funniest one was...push the shutter button, wait a day or two, turn, and get a picture of the door instead of the kid by the wall :lol: OK, it wasn't REALLY a day or two, but it seemed like it. Now the complaint is that lenses don't focus fast enough. Sheesh, it never ends.....

Panos: Yup, without a doubt, but I think it is the RIGHT KIND of Monster, in more ways than one :lol:

One other comment is that while we like to say that equipment doesn't matter, it is apparent to me, and not only from Nancy, that there is a huge difference in what can be accomplished with a DSLR and decent lenses versus even the best P&S's out there. While I think I "knew" that before, I am now seeing the first-hand results.

10. Bill,

You might want to get the budget ready... :evil:
    Nan & I went through Antarctica in November 2003 both tugging at the strap of the D-100. She would not touch the 995 with its shutter lag, so I was usually stuck with it. (We literally needed a new strap when we got home!) :oops: .
    Before going to Alaska in 2004, back to the camera store to add a D-70 to the collection. (I did not suggest that we buy a carton of straps).
    This summer we are heading to Africa. I knew if we got just the 80-400VR I would be stuck with the 70-300ED so we also needed to also get the 70-200AFS-VR and 1.7TC. :roll:
    Just so you know where this is headed...
    Bob & Nan

11. I think I am already ahead of you. Got the D70 PRIOR to strap tugging, I saw THAT one coming :wink: . The TC-17 shoudl be arriving today :wink:

Actually, the next bits for Nancy are:

1. Feisol Tripod - I like the price and after seeing JayR's it is really nice.
    2. Jobu Black WIdow - Nancy will get my EcoImage Gimbal.

Luckily I have just about enough sold now to pay for most of that :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping that the 1.7 will adequately AF on my 120-300f2.8 Sigma as well as the 500mm f4.5 Sigma. The TC-14 sure does, and the 1.7 will yield a 510 on the 120-300 which will keep Nancy happy, at least for a month or so........... :oops: ....maybe you have a point AFTER all....

12. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very cute story. I never did fancy myself as a "birder" in fact I still don't. but I still like to shoot them. the idea of looking at a bird with binoculars or scopes and not taking photos just escapes me.

13. I most CERTAINLY don't think of myself as a birder, but the little buggers are so much easier to find than Bears and they make great practice targets :lol: Plus the variety is amazing, and between the movement, coloration, behaviors and location they are not only great subjects but a real challenge.

This story could have been about any subject matter, although the urgency wouldn't have there for a landscape, unless an Earthquake or Tornado was happening :lol:

I am finding myself more and more having the same feeling when looking at many things, that I would prefer to get a picture. I'd need a lot more storage then...... :wink:

14. Hi Bill,

I showed my wife several times how to use my camera. Untill now without any luck.
    I think in the future she wouldn't even give it a try. She would only TELL me when i come at home : Hi darling, i just SAW a very beatifull woodpecker in the garden !!

maybe you cloud try this :

Give her a D2X with the sigma 300-800 (if she loves fitness training) LOL.

15. Alex, this whole transistiong to picture-taking has really taken me by surprise. Nancy doesn't want to know how to use MY camera, but she has certainly decided the D70 is HERS :lol:

Her idea of "fitness training" ends at the D70 + 70-200 AFS VR weight wise, but it would be OK with me if a D2X and the 300-800 suddenly showed up anyway :lol: :lol:

16. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    The D70 is a pretty forgiving camera. My wife shoots with it and gets some pretty good shots. I always do the "2 button reset" before I put the camera away. So if my wife picks up the camera, she knows how to put it in "P" mode and start shooting.

The sad part is that I recently bought her a Sony P-150 and she never touches it. It is sitting in the shelf, brand new and maybe about 100 clicks. I might just decide to use it as a back up.

OTOH, it is much easier to justify expensive lenses as she has seen the quality of the pictures. :twisted:

Bill - I really like the Feisol tripod. It is light enough that it doesn't get left behind. It worked well in the sand/beaches. I do have one problem though. One of the locks is not locking completely. I need to contact feisol and get it rectified. If you would like to try it out for a while before buying, let me know. You can try out mine for as long as you want.

17. Thanks, Jay, maybe we can look at the tripod when we hook up next week regarding the ballhead.

As to the 2-button reset, not a bad idea, but I have other bits set that are not default. It's more fun to let her complain :wink: , ouch....