A good example of using fill flash

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 4, 2006.

1. For many years I had taken pictures of Brewer's Blackbirds, but they never did justice to the iridescent colours in them. The images mostly just came up black. Here is an example of a photo I took using a flash to highlight those iridescent colours. I never knew such a common bird could look so colourful. Basically I just shot on aperture priority with the camera set to expose the image as if there was no flash. The TTL metering allows for the correct overall exposure, but the flash adds a highlight to the subject. Without the flash, this would just be another black bird picture.

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

2. It sure does bring out the colors. I've got to remember that when shooting pics. of black birds. As you said most of the time they just look like another black bird without beauty to them. Good going, great shot.
    Pete

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,

Good example. Was this with a BB or were you close enough that you didn't need it?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent,
    I love the colors and the whole comp of the image.

6. Perfect example and you got the nice iridescent coloring by using the flash

7. Tim, I agree, amazing difference. As Frank asked, was this "bare flash" or Better Beamer? Looks like it really is time for me to give this a try.

For those who use this combo, what kind of range do you find this useful for? Only "sitting" subjects I suspect or can it be used for "short burst" on moving beasties as well?

8. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Beautiful shot, thanks for the tips

9. Wonderful shot, love seeing the true colours in those black birds, Thanks so much for the fill-in flash tip!

10. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    This is a real beauty! I love the colors.

11. For such a nuisance bird, this shot really illustrates the pretty colors!

12. Hi Frank. This is just flash with no BB. Alhtough I've been thinking of getting one for those situations where I cannot get close enough. I've never used a BB before.

Cheers
    Tim

13. Well it depends on the number of flashes used, but with just one SB-800, I can typically work within about 30 feet at ISO 200. At ISO 400 the flash says it is good to 19 meters, but I know that is stretching it too far. No matter where I go for a shoot (even in my kayak), I always have at least one flash with me or on the camera. It can make the difference between a keeper or a throw-away for me. Especially up here where we get months of grey skies for weeks on end.

I am thinking of getting the Kirk Flash X-tender for when I need more range. They look like the BB for $42.95.

Cheers
    Tim

14. The Kirk BB is the exact same as the better beamer....

Try buying from here it is cheaper that kirk and the same thing..

http://www.rpphoto.com/store/products.asp?cat=1&subcat=1

15. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shot, Tim! Fill flash really does help in various lighting conditions and with catching the colors of a bird like this. Well done!

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

very good example.
    exactly why I use mine more and more !!

17. Great shot they are so hard to get the real colors of, and a very interesting tip.

So for a flash novice like me all you do is set the camera to A and the aperture you want, then just turn on the flash?

18. This shot definetily belongs in the WOW category. Beautiful colors on a bird most of us just pass by.

19. Wow, it's amazing the difference a simple thing like fill flash can make! I keep forgetting about flash when shooting birds. This is a perfect example of when it's needed. Very colourful capture.

20. Nice shot, Tim! It sure brought out the colors. Of course we don't need this up in sunny Kamloops - haha, I wish!