A good listener

Discussion in 'People' started by dtbh, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    This is an update on Madam Wee who will be celebrating her 90th birthday this Sunday April 29th. I have created a gallery specially dedicated to her birthday celebration at my pbase site. Feel free to drop by if you have some free time to kill and any comments there will also be much appreciated. :wink:

Here is my latest favourite which I would like to share here. As always I hope you like it too. :smile:

original.

2. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Banhup,

As always, I love your work. Such emotion (and wisdom) in this face. Perfect crop!

Mike

3. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Really, really nice. Compostion is great and the detail is stunning.

4. Fantastic shot as usual... your photos always have stunning color, perfect exposure and incredible detail. I hope someday you will take a few minutes to run down your post processing workflow for us.

5. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thanks Mike! Glad you love it.

Thanks to you too, Broyer!

I will definitely do that with a before & after image something akin to what Stu has done a couple of weeks back. Meanwhile thanks for your nice comments.

6. Another perfect one! She is beautiful! Great smile.

7. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Banhup, you have done such a fantastic job of capturing the essence of this beautiful woman. I agree with the others, the color and detail are exquisite. There is such a sense of peace and contentment in her face, which is wonderful to see.

I am looking forward to seeing your before and after, as well as your post processing work flow.

8. Another great image Banhup!! If only I could figure out shooting in available light... For some reason, I have a hard time leaving my flash in the bag... Your images make me want to throw it in the garbage!

Could you provide some suggestions for an available light novice??? Typical settings that you use would be greatly appreciated.

9. That is indeed a lovely shot, well done Banhup

10. Beautiful photograph. Simple as that really!

Very cool Banhup!

G

11. Love it. I wonder how it would work in B&W?

12. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    She is a beautiful person indeed. Thanks Carlton!

Thank you Sharon. Give me some time to work on a sample of the workflow...perhaps over this weekend. :wink:

Flash photography is very different where you have almost everything under your control and you can shoot anytime. Available light photography for me is mainly done in the mornings and evenings where the light is perfect with the occasional afternoons when the light is not too harsh. To get a decent exposure in such lighting I have to shoot wide open, most of the time being f/2.8-3.5 and ISO up to 640.

Light coming thro' windows and garage lights are good starts. This image was taken in the afternoon with light coming thro' the window on her right. I requested Madam Wee to turn her face 45deg to her right to get better lighting. I shot this at f/2.8 (I think) at ISO400 with my 28-70mm/2.8.

Hope this helps, and thanks Keith for the nice comments!

Daren, thank you to you too for taking time to view this image and for the nice comments.

Thanks Graeme! Have been really busy lately with having to care for my youngest daughter who just had an op for her appendicitis a couple of weeks ago. It was stressful for me but thank goodness she is fine now.

If you notice in my pbase gallery on her, many of the images I posted were both in color and B&W. For this I tried to convert too but I like the color version better.

Thanks Alex!

13. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Wonderful portrait! I visited your gallery and you've got some great work there as well.

Did I read correctly that you just started shooting a year ago? If so, that's amazing! As I've said many times, some people are simply born with incredible photographic talent...You, my friend are definitely one of them.

14. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thank you, Ray!

Yes, I started photography in early Feb 2006 when I bought myself a Nikon D50. One month later when I realised this hobby is for me I upgraded to a D200. Since then the gears seem to start filling my dry box burning a huge hole in my pocket. More importantly, thanks to some friendly advice many of which are from this forum, I am lucky that I am what I am today. The fun part is the learning experience and I am glad that in photography the learning never ends. More fun ahead! :biggrin: