a good macro for d40x

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tgrove, Jul 24, 2008.

1. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    can someone point me in the right direction? I don't wanna break the bank, but i don't want crap either.

2. Look at the Tamron 90mm or the Nikkor 105mm VR

3. The new 60mm AF-S G Micro is an absolutly awesome lens. (I have the 105mm VR as well...)

4. My vote goes for the Tammy 90. You can pick up a new one at a very reasonable price from Adorama or B&H. It is a great value, tack sharp with creamy bokeh.

5. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    The Tamron 90 is indeed and excellent lens, but it will not autofocus on your D40x as far as I know. Tamron is adding in-lens motors to some of their lenses, but not yet in the 90. Most macro shooters don't need autofocus, but if you use the lens as a walkaround or portrait, you might want it.

That said, I'd stick with Nikon AFS or Sigma HSM macros. Like another said, the 60 AFS Macro is superb as is the more expensive 105 vr macro. The Sigma 150 f2.8 macro will also autofocus.

6. For macro I find auto focus not that important but working distance is. I have the Sigma 150mm and this gives me some more distance than the 60mm Nikkor (non AF-S) I tried before that. Images with the Nikkor are great but working distance was not ideal.

If you want auto focus only the Nikkor AF-S lenses and Sigma HSM lenses will work. But these will probably break the bank.

Also try to find a macro lens that will not extend in length when focussing. Some lenses can increase significantly in length.

7. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    after reading what i wrote, i need to clear somethings up

the "bank" 400-500, auto focus will be nice because it will be used for other things as well, and i had a sigma 70-300 and didnt like it at all. Maybe it was the lens and not the brand. :confused: 

8. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    and the 60mm nikon is looking nice. what is a good min. focus distance?

9. The good minimal focus distance depends on what you shoot. For flowers it doesn't really matter that much as they are somewhat stationary. Insects can be easily startled and require some more distance to work from.

The Sigma 150mm I have is not really suited for larger flowers as I need to take some steps back to get the flower to fill the frame but for smaller insects it works like a charm.

In general a macro lens around 100mm is the most versatile of them all and there you can't go wrong with any of them: Tamrom 90mm, Tokina 100mm, Nikkor 105mm (with or without AF-S) and Sigma 105mm. I'm sure there are more lenses but these are the ones I see most used by others.

I've bought my Sigma 150mm for a great price but otherwise would have bought the Nikkor 105mm AF-S VR.

10. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA

11. As an owner of this lens I totally agree :biggrin: But I haven't read any bad stories about any of the available macro lenses so any one will do.

12. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    The newer version of SIGMA 70-300 DG macro that comes in the APO version is an excellant lens and better than most and will not break the bank either. My few friends and I have had excellant macro pics taken from this lens with Nikon & Canon bodies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.