1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A good vacation lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shanelu87, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I took a nice vacation down to Houston and brought my 12-24, 50, and 70-200 and found that it was WAY too strenuous on my back than I would have liked. For casual vacations with friends, I want to get a light, sharp, zoom. I don't have enough of a budget to get a 70-300mm VR AND a 16-85mm, although that would be ideal. My question is, for simplicity (1 lens!), it's between the 16-85 alone and the 18-200mm. For you casual vacation goers, do you use wide or telephoto more?

Which would you recommend if you had the money, the 16-85, or the 18-200? I've been torn between this decision for days and have been going back and forth; I seem to be getting nowhere. And with MS's cashback, I might as well get one now for cheap. Thanks!

2. My DX vacation kit was the 16-85, 70-300 and 60mm micro. It was a superb vacation kit! I do not shoot tele much, especially on family vacation, but it was nice to have the 70-300. I highly recommend the 16-85. It is VERY sharp wide open and the VR works well. The zoom length worked really well for me. If however, you shoot tele more, the 18-200 would be a great choice. Nt sure what kind of vacations you take so hard to recommend one over the other.

3. I currently own the 18-200 and am looking at going to the 16-85. The 18-200 just doesn't do it on my D300. There isn't the "pop" that I like. The 200 end isn't as sharp as I would like and therefore have added a Sigma 150. I'm looking at going to the 16-85 w/ Sigma 150 for the times I need just a little more reach.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I guess the one lens solution is the 18-200, but I didn't find mine to be particularly sharp and the f/5.6 aperture at the long end was limiting. So I work on strengthening my back and carry the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 . . . . :eek: 

5. If you're just shooting casually and don't really need reach: 28-105. It's sharp, light weight, and has a macro setting (which also allows for getting close to larger things....see today's 366 shot :tongue: ).

6. Rich, you said your vacation lens was? What is it now?

Yes I want a one lens solution, although I don't think I will use the 100-200mm too often. Is the 18-200 and the 16-85 IQ apparent, to those who owned both? I know the 16-85mm seemed to have more contrast.

7. I'll look into the 28-105, Gretchen. Thanks for bringing it up. A macro would certainly be advantageous because I was thinking of buying a 500D as well.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I use the Nikon 18-135. Wide enough and great range. I tend to use wide more than tele on vacation though, and like to do a lot of night or available light shooting, so the 18-55VR I picked up awhile ago will probably start to see a lot more use. Already used it once and it's a great little lens for sure! Very sharp and sharp 1/5s shots at 55mm.

9. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    For landscape pictures, I really appreciate having 16mm angle. For people and animal pictures, the 200mm will have the edge.

If you don't think you will miss the 100+mm range, I would go with the 16-85vr. I have the 18-200vr and have been quite pleased with it. For vacation shots, I think the wide side is more important that the long end so I would favor the 16-85vr for travels. For all round use, I think I would prefer the 18-200vr.

If you get a good copy, the 16-85vr is said to be sharper wide open than the 18-200vr.

10. Yeah Photozone said for sharpness, there's no need to stop down, just use it wide open! Pretty convenient, I think. I think I'm springing for the 16-85,but I have one more question: Does it have a more pleasant bokeh than the 18-200?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.