A Goose and 3 Duckies

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Went out this morning in search of my bar-headed goose, didn't find him or any of his Canadian buddies, so we stopped at another park close by and had some practice with these. I think I had my DOF too shallow, if there's something else I should change, let me know! I'm headed back out either this evening or tomorrow morning.

2890285922_b9de3d957d_b.png

2890286130_b6a9e3db3f_b.png

View attachment 257470

View attachment 257471

2. Looks great to me Dianne. TD and I just got in from a long wrestling match. What did you shoot theese with. I need to check the bird forum more often. .#1 is my favorite. Did you ever get some raptors? I hope so. I'm going out tomorrow morning with TD to do a bit. With TD theres not much chance of chatching anything unless it's deaf:smile:.
    Tim

3. I'll bet these were with the 300f4. I wish I had that lens.
    Tim

4. Thanks Tim! Actually these were taken with the 80-200! Raptors? WEll, those birdies are hard to find sometimes! Haven't gotten any photos worth sharing YET! As for getting out with TD, man that's gotta be fun! That sweet puppy would fill up my memory cards X 12! Oh, the goose and ducks were quite tame! I could almost pet them! Anyway, thanks for stopping by and keep those precious photos of TD comin!:biggrin:

5. Nice shots; if you were concerned about DOF in #1 or #3, don't be - its just fine as it is.

6. WOW, Thanks AL! Guess I'm finally getting something right! Thanks for stopping by!

7. Your dof is just fine. You are hitting the eye nice and sharp, which is most important, and, as in the first one, you also have the entire bill in focus. You have nice blurred backgrounds in 1 and 4. Main problem with 2 and 3 is the background is distracting, and both may be a bit oversharpened. On the last one, I'd suggest going by in with a small, soft brush and highlight the glint in the eye.

8. DOF is perfect. These are not people... :rolleyes: Getting the eyes in focus and blurring the background is what we look for in wildlife photography most of the time. At least with close-ups. This isolates the subject from the background. (Sort of the same, but opposite, of using a background light in portrait photography to separate the subject from the background...)

Get down low - at their level - when you shoot subjects like these.

I like the first shot the best, although I'm a big fan of close-ups - both in wildlife and people...

9. Thanks Guys! I did get down on their level as low as I could - the grass was rather wet and I didn't have anything to sit on with me. Next time, I'll be taking my tripod, avoid the wall and sidewalk if possible and if I've learned anything from the past - it's to focus on the eyes. Since that bunch og ducks and geese are so friendly, they'll make for good practice! Thanks so much for your input, it's important to me and you can bet I'll be putting your advice into practice! THANKS AGAIN YA'LL!