A Grain of sugar

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by simonramsden, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Not a very exciting picture to be honest. But this was only the second picture I have taken when mounting a 50mm F/1.8 (F8) on the front of a 70-200mm F/2.8 (F8) with a 2x teleconvertor as well.

There is less than 1mm DOF, the viewfinder is sooo dark you can hardly see the subject.

A single grain of sugar sitting on my mouse mat.

2. Impressive set-up with quite the result!

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    "Sweet" shot! Seriously though...that's cool!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow I love it.

Good work.

6. Simon,

Could you please provide a little more detail about your setup, in particular how did you reverse mount the 50 to the 70-200?

7. Shadow

Fairly straight forward really. Stumbled across these little things called "macro reversing rings". Take a search on ebay for macro reverse and a bucket full of them will show up. I bought a 52mm (fits 50mm lens filter thread) to 77mm (fits 200mm lens).

Screw the two lens together, fit the 200 onto the camera and away you go. I also added a 2x teleconvertor which should give you 400mm/50mm or up to 8x magnification.

8. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice capture, I haven't try this kind of photography yet but I will try the 50mm reverse on 105mm this coming winter

9. Very great results, imagine if you had try that with a diamond stone.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! Nice crystal structure on the sucrose. Have you tried this sort of thing with a polarizer? If you put one over the light source, and one over the lens, you can get some wonderful colors on organic crystals. I believe that sugars give some of the best.

11. Well I've definitely got a diamond I can lay my hands on - just need to buy a couple of polarisers. Thanks for the kind words and ideas.

More food for thought, more expense....hehehe

12. Impressive. It looks like a diamond to me. Nice job.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Incredible...the image and the enginuity (sp?) to put the equipment together to capture the image.

14. Melissa, Frank

Thanks for the encouragement.

It wasn't my idea - I read it on that "not-to-be-named" forum. There's a guy "M-A-R-K" who posts some very impressive work revering a very short lens in front of about 100mm lens. I don't have a really short lens - so I used a longer one on the camera.

Speaking to my Dad today it seems that salt has very good crystals - so I'll be having a look at them, as well as Diamonds (once I've prised them off the wife's fingers).