A Great Blue Heron display

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I was unexpectedly surprised by what I captured during yesterday's outing. After watching the GBH for about an hour, I thought well nothing much is going to happen here so I was about to leave, when he went into action. This guy did a real dance for me after capturing the fish. After reviewing all of my shots, I don't think he did a flip.

Again, not as sharp as I think they should be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D70, 80-400mm 1/640, F6.3 ISO400

2. Cool shots, Louis! Probably too big of a fish to flip it. Love the 2nd shot--looks like some kind of runway model! ;)

3. Louis that second shot is pretty funny the GBH is doing the splits. I think I will stop by the park later this afternoon to see if he is around. The last few times I have been there it has been very slow.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good catches Louis. I like the flight shots of these guys, and especially shots with the fish in the beak. You've got both. :wink:

Well done.

5. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Wow, Louis. That second one is a classic! Can't say I've ever seen a bird do something like that. Great captures, all of them!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a prize catch for you both.

He looks like a balleria :>))

Great images.

7. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    These are great. I like the pose in the second one. Looks like he is walking down the aisle in a fashion show :)

8. Thanks for the comments everyone. I was pretty surprised when I finally looked at what was actually captured. Wished I could have processed them a little better though.

Louie

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Cool shots, Louis!! I'm with everyone else -- that second shot is unique - haven't seen a GBH do a balancing routine like that before.

10. The Heron is an amazing bird and you have just demonstrated that with your photography. Way to go.