A great cause & touching symbolism

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by JB, Aug 13, 2005.

1. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Looking through my shots for a bit of photojournalism to share with you, I came upon some work from back in March I thought you might appreciate. Each year I document an event called St. Baldrick's, an annual fund raising event for the National Childhood Cancer Foundation. The participants, young and old, male and female alike, volunteer to shave their heads in return for donations to the NCCF. These "shavees" do more than generate pledges and contribute to the playful atmosphere of an otherwise somber subject. Their shaved heads show solidarity with the children afflicted with cancer who often loose their own hair during treatment. Originating in the United States, St. Baldrick's is held close to St. Patrick's Day, often in America's Irish Pubs.
    These shots are from the Old Brogue Irish Pub in Great Falls, Virginia. In the last shot a father hugs his teenaged daughter during the applause immediately after her head was shaved. Close friends of theirs had recently lost their only child to a brain tumor.
    http://www.stbaldricks.org/

original.

View attachment 13753

View attachment 13754

View attachment 13755

All shots were made with a D2H, SB-800 & 17-35 f/2.8 or 12-24 f/4DX.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Very touching JB. I think the last one is the best and really shows the emotion involved.

Thank you for sharing.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Very moving...something you never want to have to go through yourself is losing a child...but if you do, these are obviously the kind of people you want backing you up. Well documented...thanks for sharing.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW very caring folks.

Good images and great story.

5. Having had a young son with cancer I can really relate to these photo's and emotion and meaning behind them. Thanks for sharing.

6. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    get involved

Hi Gordon,

In case you'd like to learn more about St Baldrick's, visit; http://www.stbaldricks.org

I know the people who organize the St Baldrick's event above and have met the people from the NCCF HQ in Bethesda. They seem like sincere, honest people who really want to help the kids. And I'm sure they could use some help in St. George if you want to get more involved.