A great day afield

Discussion in 'Birds' started by WHISTLING_WINGS, Oct 12, 2005.

1. :Depressed Well here it is freinds! a wasted day out in the glories of nature. I spent 30 minutes crawling, rolling up to get as near to a small pot hole as i dared. I got about 20 feet and stoped not wanting to push my luck, the two images posted are the result. Twice people got out of there cars on a service road that was about 100 yards running with there P&S camera to get a photo of little johny with all these now flying geese. None the less they came back 1 by 1 flocks but i could not get comfortable and had to lay which made panning hard, most seemed to be just out of range the others to close to get a image from it.I had been given permission by a biologist to put my rue blind up and to just check in and I forgot the name and card hehad gave may when I spoke to him this spring, thus no blind. I wasted a day I could have filled my 1g card as they just went back to feed and return for water from 4 until 6:30 when I walked to the car in a very :Depressed mood. So I hope to try again if not here's fall 05
    Canadas05oct.
    View attachment 16778

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Darrell,

I think any day in the field is a good day. I go out and take lots of pics and end up deleting a bunches of them. Its just being in nature that I really love. An added bonus is getting a keeper shot.

I think these are good. I like to see flocks of geese and these images of yours appear to be great. Would love to see some larger ones of these.

Thanks for sharing and you'll get'em next time.

On a side note, where I do a lot of my shooting is on the property of a University. Always lots of people getting in the way. :)

Regards,

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Darrell, I agree with Patrick. Part of the appeal of bird and nature photography for me is getting out into nature. I also agree that these are very nice shots, and I too would like to see them a little larger if possible.

Don't be discouraged. :smile:

4. Trip

I most certianly agree with both of you, it was a glories day. Just for me with disability issues getting out is not always easy. Beyong that the weather has been impossible. The snow we got just cut the staging waterfowl in half , I guess 40+ thousand canadas seems like I should not complain. The 3+ thousand snaws and 60+ thousand ducks might be heaven. I guess its getting into a area that hold 8-10 thousand geese feeding on the road across from the water and them on a blue bird day watching them knowing if I had the blind I would be filling most of the frame.Its like I was in the zone and then a uncontrolable situation occurs. I'm hoping for today I'm just putting up the blind I don't think anyone will even know, the biologist is gone so it should not be a issue and if it is maybe I can get to the person I spoke with before.
    Hers larger versions of the photos below

DSC_0053copy900x700.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Darrell. Hopefully you can get back out this weekend to some nice weather with your blind. I look forward to your shots. :wink:

6. Photo 2

Other shot

Photo bucket won't allow me to go bigger, strange as other files are larger
    [​IMG]

Ok image shack allowed me to go bigger :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Great!!!! I have a blind but have never put it up. Perhaps I should experiment with it sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing these Darrell.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yep like others say any day/time in nature cool with me
    Some shots to bring home just a little icing on the cake!

Like them Swans, don't have many here :frown:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW what a wonderful difference. Thank you for posting larger..

(these old eyes)

Beautiful images. First is extremely empressive.

Would hang that on MY wall :>))

10. Callie

Callie Guest

Hii WW
    Love your Avatar. From a previous site, we called them DD - Dinner Duck, as one very nice post showed the mallard coming nice and low, so someone suggested the photographer should just hold out a frying pan and the duck can then land right in it, ready for dinner.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Looks like you had a nice day in the wild. Alwya great to spend time away from the city. Nice on the wing of these guys. The numbers you quote are amazing - We do not have anything like that except maybe flamingos, but not near wher I live.
    Regards