A great day to be alive....;-)

Janie and I went on a nice easy hike Sunday. The park trail guide said that you might see Great Blue Herons on this particular hike, so instead of the usual D70 / 18-70, I took the big bag, and the D2H / 70-200VR + 1.4 TC. We did see three GBH's, although they were all behind dense vegetation, so no shots, but I really enjoyed this cam / lens combo.

I haven't used the 70-200 nearly enough since I got the 300 2.8, and I had just about forgotten what a great lens it is. Since I didn't get any GBH shots, I wished that I had left the TC in the truck. In spite of this though, I got some really pretty shots. Here is a sample.

The prettiest thing that I saw all day 8) :
19384610-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another:
19384616-O.jpg

We also saw some pretty flowers (the bokeh with this lens is amazing):
19384649-O.jpg

19384637-O.jpg

We saw some fairy cook pots :p....
19384653-O.jpg

And even though we didn't get any flying birdies, we did get some winged creatures:
19384640-O.jpg

19384645-O.jpg

All in all, a good day to be alive.... :D

Frank

Hi, Frank

I am in trigued by those fairy cooking pots, something we don't have around here. It fun seeing you recovering what's in your bag. Looks like you had pretty good weather too. Beautiful color and interest you've got with these shots.

Did Janie do any shooting with you?

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Virginia,

Janie will take the D70 and kit lens and shoot when I ask her to, but she won't touch the D2H and the big lenses that I normally have mounted. Can't say that I really blame her. The danged things are frickin' heavy. :?

I'll be honest though, in spite of this, I'm very tempted to start lifting weights and taking this combo + the 18-70 on future hikes. The results are just awe inspiring (even for a noob like me....;-)).

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

Good to see you out of the sky :>))

Great shots.

Fairy cook pots eh... Never heard them called that. Now I want to shoot some. I go for a little walk on my break and collect them sometines, along with pine cones and feathers.

Have to pull them out of the jar and do a colose up thing of them..

Very nice variety. Bee looks great.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice and after a few hikes it will feel like nothing.. might want to look at the canon 500D closeup lens for the 70-200 I have seen some great macros with this combo .. Janet Zinn comes to mind as one who uses this combo well.

Mike,

You definitely hit the nail on the head. 8) I was telling Janie that I wish that I had brought the 500D. Could have used it is several shots. Problem is, I want to bring the 18-70 to. Definitely going to have to hit the weights.... :?

Thanks!!

Frank

Frank,
Sounds like you want to walk around w/all your gear like Patrick did in Jacksonville...of course, he put most of it back after lunch and only carried around 1/2 of it!
Your flowers and such are nice....stepping out of your safezone is fun once in a while, right? Keep 'em coming!

Frank, it seems you had a very successful hike. These pics are wonderful.

Although the 500D is a heavy-weight among close-up lenses is doesn't add too much to be a problem.

Being a lazy person, I would rather hate to unshoulder my photo-trekker, take out the 500D, remove the lens hood, screw on the 500D and put back the lens hood etc.

I mean, being aware of this fact I sometimes walk out with just one of my favorite primes (28/1.4, 45/2.8, 85/1.4). Being spared the decision-making of which lens I might use for different situations, I am able to focus on pure photography - a little foot-framing included :). You would be astonished at what you may achieve with just one focal length.
However, most of the time a carry much more than I need, earning me a bad feedback from my back :)
Cheers

Leigh said:
....stepping out of your safezone is fun once in a while, right? Keep 'em coming!

Leigh,

Several folks had the same comment and you (and they) are so right. Sometimes you can get obsessed with one area of our great hobby and miss the enjoyment of just taking beautiful pictures. I certainly plan to keep this up.

Thanks for the kind words.

Frank

Harry S. said:
Frank, it seems you had a very successful hike. These pics are wonderful.

Although the 500D is a heavy-weight among close-up lenses is doesn't add too much to be a problem.

Being a lazy person, I would rather hate to unshoulder my photo-trekker, take out the 500D, remove the lens hood, screw on the 500D and put back the lens hood etc.

I mean, being aware of this fact I sometimes walk out with just one of my favorite primes (28/1.4, 45/2.8, 85/1.4). Being spared the decision-making of which lens I might use for different situations, I am able to focus on pure photography - a little foot-framing included :). You would be astonished at what you may achieve with just one focal length.
However, most of the time a carry much more than I need, earning me a bad feedback from my back :)
Cheers

Harry,

I hear what you are saying. I only have three lenses; the 300 2.8, the 70-20VR, and the 18-70. As I mentioned, I usually just carry the D70 and the 18-70 on hikes because they are light and convenient. After Sunday though, I'm just going to have to find a way to carry the D2H and the 70-200. The pictures are just too good (I'm not trying to say that my pictures are good, just that the results from this cam and lens are so good....;-)).

The thing is, I missed my 18-70 for several scenic vista that we happened upon, and like Mike Mac said, I should have carried the 500D also. As you mention, it's not that heavy. Altogether though, this kit would be about 6 - 7 lbs; or about 4 - 5 lbs heavier than the D70 and 18-70 alone. The hike we took Sunday was easy, but we often go on 10 - 15 mile ( 4 or 5 hour) killers. For those, I'll need to be in better shape to carry this larger kit. :lol:

Thanks for your feedback.

Frank

Frank,

You're really a bad boy hiding such talent for flowers shooting. I think I must go shooting birds more often to get equal (I hope so) :).
Congratulations.. Beauties indeed. Love the boke.

Flew, These are VERY nice shots, glad to see that the 70-200 can do flowers. In planning on getting the CU500D for it instead of carrying a macro around on nature walks and paddles. You using the VR on these?? and I'd really like to know what your settings were, if you'd care to share. Just got the 70-200 and flowers aren't up here yet. Guess I'll just have to move on south a bit!

Sandi,

As I mentioned, I started out with the 1.4 TC on the cam along with the 70-200. About half way through the hike the AF started acting up. My guess was contamination on the contacts (later confirmed and cleaned up). I shot the rest of the way with just the 70-200.

In both cases, I set the lens as wide open as possible, to minimize the DOF, and to get the best focus contrast between subject and background. With the TC that was f4.0. Without of course, it was f2.8. I shot in A priority, and I think that the shutter speed varied between 1/800 and 1/1600.

I definitely used the VR since all shots were hand held. For my birdie shots VR is not all that helpful, but for these it was a real blessing as I don't have such steady hands. I only wish that I had taken the 500D with me. I could have gotten some killer shots with that combo.

I think that you will be very happy with this lens, whatever your settings. I definitely need to use mine more often.

Regards,

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom