A Happy day at Bolsa Chica for a North Westerner.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I spent the whole last Monday at Bolsa Chica, California, and there are a lot of birds there for sure, lots of Egret, GBH's, Godwits, Osprey, Black Hawk (?) and many other flying birds. For a North Westerner it is a treat to see what I guess you Southerners are bored with like for instance White and Brown Pelicans.

The big even of the day was the GBH that swallowed the big fish of course ( Heron swallowing big fish ) but there where lots of other things going on:

I guess the reason for all this multitude is quite simple; the whole Bolsa Chica marsh land is teaming with fish and other edible things.

Here are a few takeaways:
    large.
    And finally the closeup if the fish gorging orgy:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andreas,

Great series. I'd like to do a shoot there, but it would be a pretty long drive for me. :rolleyes:

If you ever get down this way, I can show you a few southern birdies. :wink:

3. looks great love the shot of the immature heron with hsi reflection and the shot of the shorebird.

4. Another great series Andreas. I went back to Juanita today and will post a few in a bit. We did not have very good weather and I sure would rather have been in So. Calif.

5. Well that is a nice offer Frank, I would love to take you up on it sometime, wish we have something as good to offer, Maybe hundreds of Eagles at Brackendale in Dec- January? (and cold as you know what...)

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I love Bolsa go there at least once a week, but how lucky you were to catch that GBH eating a decent size fish.
    I've yet to see that
    Your black hawk is actually called a Morph Hawk, pretty rare been seen there the last couple weeks.
    Which we could of met I was there Sunday last, maybe next time :wink:

Glad you came away with some keepers !!

7. Gees if I had known about the Morph Hawk I would have pursaued it more It was sitting in a tree a bit away.... Well maybe next time?