A happy ending - hurricane Matthew

I haven't posted for quite a while, but I look in on the Café quite often. I see many posts in the general forum that are about complaints or bad issues; so, I thought a happy story would fit in nicely.

My daughter's wedding was planned for Charlotte, South Carolina, this coming Saturday. A year and a half of planning had gone into her Charleston wedding, which was to take place at a beautiful country club, with the ceremony taking place, at sunset, under a large tree, along a scenic river. Now, along comes news of hurricane Matthew, and she was in tears for several days. Then, yesterday, the governor orders an evacuation of the area.

Yesterday was a mad dash to try to figure out what to do. 250 guests were coming, from as far away as California, Texas, Massachusetts, and overseas in Germany, the Netherlands, Scotland and England. My wife and I live 3 hours from Charleston, and my daughter and her fiancé live in Cincinnati, some 10 or 11 hours away.

I think that everyone we have ever met has called to ask how they could help. Venues and caterers near our home have bent over backwards trying to help us. The only venue in town big enough to handle a reception of that size, is a private club, that is very expensive for non-members. They offered to waive all fees and rental costs, and charge us only for the catering.

A high school, holding a 25th class reunion, in one of the facility's function rooms, voted unanimously to do a last minute move of their reunion, saying that they did not want to get in the way of a bride and groom dancing at their wedding.

A local TV station, on hearing how people had helped so much in getting this wedding put on in only days, has called to say that they want to send a news crew to the wedding, to do a story about our home town came together to help this couple have their wedding.

There is no way to even list all of the people who have pitched in to help. Though my daughter will be missing many of the activities that had been planned for the wedding, it never could have made her as happy as she is now, as a result of all of the love and help that she has received from friends and strangers, to turn a bad situation into an amazing happening.

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Experiences such as yours, Cliff, reinforce that there still is hope for mankind. Best wishes to the bridal couple and congratulations on your new family member. :)

Absolutely wonderful. What stays with ya over the years is not the reception hall or the grand sanctuary... you remember the Family, Friends, and Fun. It's wonderful that so many people came together to help! Give her our regards.

Thank you, Mike and Bill. We found out this morning, when going over the menu, that the chef, who will be staying Saturday night to cook for us, is getting married himself on Sunday. We were also unaware that the chef's brother is a guest at my daughter's wedding.

Thanks, Brad.

I just noticed that this whole ordeal had me more addled than I thought. In my original post, I said that the wedding was originally planned for "Charlotte." That should have read "Charleston", which is in the path of the hurricane, and forecast to have downpours and 70+ mph wind, at the originally scheduled time for the wedding. The Charlotte, "North Carolina" is the area to which we have moved the wedding.

They definitely have a story to tell. The local newspaper is running a story and video about their wedding at heraldonline.com/news/local/article106475347.html and the local TV station is sending a film crew to the wedding.

A wonderful story. Congratulations to the bride & groom. A hearty well done to the fine neighbors who have made this possible.

Best wishes to you and your family, and your daughter's wedding Cliff! It sounds like it's all coming together! Hopefully the hurricane won't impact Charollote as much!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter and son-in-law! I know that despite the challenges, they are going to have a beautiful wedding!

Thank you, Lyndee, Steve and Art, for you well wishes.

This is getting even crazier. NBC News, Fox News and People Magazine have all called about called about interviewing my daughter and her fiancé.

Amazingly, the 200+ guest wedding, put together in 4 days, went off without a hitch. Being able to officiate at the wedding of my daughter was an amazing experience. Here is a link to coverage from a local news station: cn2.com/day-to-remember Last week, that station, plus Fox News and NBC News all ran stories about the wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom