A Heron...at last!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, Jun 9, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was driving through a local sub-division and spotted this bird. I parked my truck, grabbed my camera and gently approached the pond. Not the greatest image you are going to see today with highlights blown...but I got him before to took flight. I'll do better in the future...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ABC :>))

Hi Frank,

You got a Great White Egret there.. Good catch..

You are now addictied to the "birdies" :>)))

ABC Addicted to Birdies Club

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Gale,

I am so envious of the bird images that are posted here, it truly has inspired me to get out and search for some to shoot. I am limited to the focal length of my 300mm prime as it does not allow for usage of a TC without rendering it a manual focus lens. I am patient and I hope to get some better images of birds in the future. I love a challenge!

Here birdy, birdy, birdy!!!! :lol:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Birdies do take a lot of patience actually to get good ones. Flying, well that a whole different story. My reflexes are not quick enough....

You will love it and hate it :>))

Get frustrated and love it some more. hahahahha

Just keep shootin.

Ya did good.....

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Frank, IMHO a 300mm lens is the perfect length for shooting flying birdies. It can be a little short for sitting birds in many cases though.

Nice first capture. As Gale said, you're hooked now. 8)

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats on getting your first Great Egret! They are beautiful birds and now you're as hooked as the rest of us! Welcome to the bird shooting club!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks All...yep, hooked is a pretty good sumation. As much as I love shooting sports, I am looking forward to expanding my enjoyment of photography by trying to capture images of birds, landacapes and who knows what. I used to check into DPReview, but I never was inspired to try other things...but finding my home here has opened my eyes wide and I really want to broaden my interests. I'm on vacation beginning Sunday morning for 8 days...I have that feeling that my CF card is going to be smoking especially with the addition of "the beast" bulging out of my camera bag. Time to surprise the wife with flowers or something!!!!