A Hummer shot w/D2x @700mm from 20 ft...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    *still* doesn't come close to filling the frame! :? Boy, are they little critters!
    500 AFS II f4 + TC 1.4 used. Any comments?
    [​IMG]
    ISO 800
    Shutter Priority @1/800th
    Wide open @f5.6

2. Excellent work, Steve. Now that you have them coming regularly to feed, you can refine your technique even further!

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gosh, I wish I had some technique to refine. This is just awesome Steve. If UF likes it you know its a winning hummer.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Steve

That is very impressive. That is some feat to use a 500mm with an extender to get that shot.

I have yet to get anything worth while on the hummers that are at my house. They don't slow down for me.

Russ

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

Yesterday you were complaining about how poorly you were doing with this combo, and now you post this shot.??!? Jeez, what a sandbagger. :roll:

This is one of the best hummer shots that I've ever seen. I've just put my feeders out. I'd be extremely happy if I could get a shot half as good as this one. Excellent!! :wink:

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks all, this was about a 40% crop

with another 50% reduction for web. If anyone has any ideas for improving my tech, speak up! Frank??

7. super shot...!!

they will let you get closer than 20ft...try moving in to about 10ft (don't know closest focus on that lens combo)...sit very still...and use fill flash (SB800) if you have one...with the flash you will be able to stop the lens down some....

very nice though !!

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think you did really well. Nailing focus on something so small from that distance has got to be a challenge.

There's a bit of noise in the bokeh, I would think Neat Image or Noise Ninja could easily take care of that though.

9. Very nice. Hard bird to capture well, you did a great job.

10. Nice job Steve. With that combo I do not think you want to get any closer for two reasons:

1. It will be very difficult to track the hummer.

2. You will not have enough DOF.

If you have any more flashes, try to set them up closer to the hummer, and fire them remotely from your camera.

I would try shooting at a lower ISO and shutter speed.

Also, try some shots on a dull day and the green on the back of the hummer will be much more sarturated.

Fantastic job for a first attempt.

11. Hey Steve you did a good job, I like it. They are not an easy target to get with your camera.
    Pete