A Hummer shot w/D2x @700mm from 20 ft...

*still* doesn't come close to filling the frame! :? Boy, are they little critters!
500 AFS II f4 + TC 1.4 used. Any comments?
Hummer_2301.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ISO 800
Shutter Priority @1/800th
Wide open @f5.6

PGB

Gosh, I wish I had some technique to refine. This is just awesome Steve. If UF likes it you know its a winning hummer.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

That is very impressive. That is some feat to use a 500mm with an extender to get that shot.

I have yet to get anything worth while on the hummers that are at my house. They don't slow down for me.

Russ

Steve,

Yesterday you were complaining about how poorly you were doing with this combo, and now you post this shot.??!? Jeez, what a sandbagger. :roll:

This is one of the best hummer shots that I've ever seen. I've just put my feeders out. I'd be extremely happy if I could get a shot half as good as this one. Excellent!! :wink:

Thanks all, this was about a 40% crop

with another 50% reduction for web. If anyone has any ideas for improving my tech, speak up! Frank??

super shot...!!

they will let you get closer than 20ft...try moving in to about 10ft (don't know closest focus on that lens combo)...sit very still...and use fill flash (SB800) if you have one...with the flash you will be able to stop the lens down some....

very nice though !!

I think you did really well. Nailing focus on something so small from that distance has got to be a challenge.

There's a bit of noise in the bokeh, I would think Neat Image or Noise Ninja could easily take care of that though.

Nice job Steve. With that combo I do not think you want to get any closer for two reasons:

1. It will be very difficult to track the hummer.

2. You will not have enough DOF.

If you have any more flashes, try to set them up closer to the hummer, and fire them remotely from your camera.

I would try shooting at a lower ISO and shutter speed.

Also, try some shots on a dull day and the green on the back of the hummer will be much more sarturated.

Fantastic job for a first attempt.

Latest threads

Top Bottom