" A hunting we will go..." Red Tail Hawk: Warning some graphic images

My wife and I had the opportunity to join a local falconer Jenn S. and her prize red tail on a hunt here in Thunder Bay . It was fascinating to watch her and the hawk connect with each other so readily. That and the enthusiasm of her two dogs as they moved through the thick branches rustling up the rabbits for Sitka the hawk ....Trust me it was not easy for us humans to move through the brush as we learned when we were alerted by the dogs that Sitka scored and we had to get there quickly before she could devour the rabbit ! Jenn does a lot wonderful work rescuing injured birds eg; just before meeting up with us she was at the vet with a hawk who had surgery on a broken leg! All on her own dime!! Nush and I had a wonderful day.
It was a little disturbing to hear the kill and seeing Sitka tear through the rabbit meat.....and yet...... that is the cycle of life and death. We are separated from the reality of it. The bird did what it must to live. It was sad and beautiful at the same time.
We really appreciate Jen’s skill and devotion. Hoping to have more such opportunities in future.

1. Getting ready for the hunt
Sitka start of hunt 8678.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Am I not a handsome fellow?
Sitka head shot 8682.jpg

3. I hear something...have the pups found a rabbit?
Sitka perched high 8742.jpg

4. Success...
Sitka start of hunt 8658.jpg

5. My precious...
Sitka %22my rabbit%22 8769.jpg

6. Time to head home..How'd I do Mom...eh?
Sitka and Jenn 8845.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom