A lady and her doll

I came across this lady in the Botanical Garden yesterday. She was very carefully carrying this large doll around.
The detail on the doll was incredible, obviously hand crafted. It must have a special meaning to her, she seemed in her own little world with it...

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 300mm f/2.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It looks like the weird Japanese Dolls. I find them oddly sinister. Jonathan Ross covered the subject in the BBC series Japanorama. I cant find the term used though.

Nice shot... Sinister though...

Ahh found it!

Look up "Super Dollfie"...

It looks like the weird Japanese Dolls. I find them oddly sinister. Jonathan Ross covered the subject in the BBC series Japanorama. I cant find the term used though.

Nice shot... Sinister though...

Ahh found it!

Look up "Super Dollfie"...
Aaiii, very interesting!! This surely seems to be one of those dolls. I have never heard of that before and thought this was home made.

These Dolls sell for over $500 a piece, and theextras are expensive too... Then again you "can" marry them to in a weird cult ceremony thing...

I agree with Hokum - looks sinister (a la Chuckie). The pose of the doll and the owner makes it look alive/animated. Nice!

Good control of the DOF, Frits.

But I was attracted by the lady... due to the position of the body and the color contrast of her hair and outfit.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same subjects but different vision :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so now we have a better understanding of what the woman was doing with the doll.... Still, it's all rather strange, IMHO!
May be she was praticing photography. I have encountered several persons in the past years, going to the Botanical Gardens to take pictures of dolls, small sculptures and even fake flowers using the Gardens scenics as background.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom