A letter to Nikon

Well, I'll be the dissenting voice here, but that letter is IMHO neither well written, nor to the point.

I won't go into more details, because the flames would start. Besides, this issue has been debated for so many times on the other forum, every opinion has been voiced. Do we need to bring this discussion here ?

Thierry

Rob

I won't go into more details, because the flames would start
Thierry, pardon my naievety, but isn't the purpose of the Nikoncafe open and reasonable discussion and debate, amongst similar if not like minds. If we all agree, and there is no dissent or debate life would be a tad boring.
Tell all. Give it heaps. If your opinion goes against the grain, so be it. Democracy extends to online websites, doesn't it? :wink:

P

Przemek

I use Linux too. The only thing that pretty much keeps me using Windows is RAW conversion, and an occasional want to play a computer game.

I could live without the latter.

Regards,
Przemek

heiko said:
Rory,

I entirely agree with your letter. Also your reference to the openraw initiative is helpful. However, I also agree with some other posts as to the fact that RAW formats - no matter which camera maker - are proprietary to the specific maker (at least I haven't heard of a standard RAW format employed in any camera, yet). I also see some difficulties in camera manufacturers agreeing on a standard, as this would be probably very basic and stripped off many additional features that one or another manufacturer may want to add.

Said that, there is - to my opinion - no reason to disclose or even encrypt data structures in a RAW file, thus preventing the general public to eventually decipher the information.

I ran into the RAW conversion problem when I got my D70 a little more than a year ago and used a Linux PC for home use. As all Linux development depends on either proprietary information being released by the hardware manufacturers or the latter's development of a driver/converter for Linux, the situation with RAW converters for Linux is - at least now - very problematic. The only available solution I found was the dcraw converter written by Dave Coffin who - as he writes - had to decipher the RAW files from over a hundred different brands and models. While the dcraw converter worked with D70 NEF files, the standard output was not satisfactory and I eventually gave up and bought a Microsoft Windows OS to overcome the problems.

In other words, my only good reason for changing to Microsoft was because I wanted to process NEF files on my PC. For all other purposes I would have rather continued using Linux.

I can only assume the reasons behind proprietary RAW files, which I believe are additional revenue streams from selling conversion software. Everybody knows that the war on dSLR is fought via hardware prices for the cameras. So it seems obvious that the manufacturers want to cash some extra money by selling software and other peripherals.

In Nikon's case I consider this a rather poor strategy. Nikon software is everything but reliable and fast. Seems Nikon still has a long way to go to become a software company. And with Adobe Photoshop and other alternatives being around, this will be a tough challenge for Nikon. Why not stick to what you're good at, Nikon?

Thanks for your efforts, Rory!

Regards,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom