A level of PUFF

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, May 26, 2007.

1. The 4 red shoulder chicks are left on their own for now, as I would guess both parents are hunting.
    Photo taken on 5/26/07 (Hand Held) A FF photo
    Canon 20D and 100 to 400 ISL lens
    1/80 at 5.6 FL 400MM ISO 400 EV +1/3

Lou
    514874524_862432db17_o.

2. That's a tough shot Lou, Not your best but certianly shows the subjects.

3. It printed beautiful Gary and thanks for looking.
    Lou

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think that is a good shot and the fuzzies are growing fast
    Suprised to see them alone with so many preditors around.

5. Well GAle not really. If you stop and think about it 4 young is a lot to feed plus themselves so time spent hunting is a #1 priority. I would say this also from watching other nests when the young are left alone. Even though their cry is very faint you can rest assured the parents or at least one of them will be hunting close by. I have a preatator guard on their nest tree to prevent racoons from getting up but at night an owl could be trouble even with the parents there as they would be no match for an owl. Nature is nature and I always hope for the best.
    Thanks for looking.
    Lou
    PS Its a beautiful print as I did one right away for my wall of fame:wink::wink:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gezzz I had not even thought about the Big Ol' OWL

7. Sorry to say GAle but we have found dead eaglets on the ground with their heads ripped off like it was just for spite and that would most likely be a great grey or great horned owl. In the dark the eagle is not a good match against a large owl and the owl is so silent nothing can hear it comming. It's feathers are designed so when air is pushed through them they make no noise where as other raptors you will hear a swish, Like a golf glub being swung through the air. Their hearing and sight is second to none, it's the best come dark. I see this demo as a part of a show when I go with the DVRC to a presentation on raptors to the public or some school kids.
    Lou

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Question for you Lou:

I'm a little surprised that an Owl could over match a Hawk or an Eagle. I understand the stealth advantage an Owl possesses and I guess it's all over during a night attack before the birds can react. Is an Owl a superior opponent in a daytime fight?

9. Great capture Lou! I hope they all make it.

Best,

Jose

10. Andy, An answer to this can't be a 100% as all birds are not equal, but I have seen eagles and ospreys go at it for nesting rights and have seen both win. When the cold of winter sets in up north and the eagles have to start a migration south they are leaving their territory in the hunt for food. The nests are open anyway as that season is over. Now as the weather starts to turn back to the warmer side the eagle will start a Journey north back to it's nesting tree or spot and often a great grey or great horned will be in the nest already. This is trouble and could and does go to the death at times. If the eagle arrives at night the battle is in the owls corner but from what I have read on this most eagles are smart enough to hang out till the daylight comes and then it's a battle royal and most of the time it's the eagle that takes back the nest. I would think the eagle to be superior in the daylight but I also have to say from being close to both type owls at the rehab center they are extremely large, powerful, and silent. Their prey never knows what hits it.
    The great Grey is the larger of the two at an average of 33 inches and that is about the sane as a male Bald eagle so all things would seem equal but I myself feel that the eagle has a slight advantage as it is fighting for it’s home. Like a home team advantage.
    Attaching a photo of a great horned I have worked with and it is a very powerful bird. Just look at those feet and talons. Looks like it belongs in the WWWF. This one comes in at about 24 inches. On another note my neighbor saw her cat in broad daylight get picked off and taken to flight in the talons of a great horned. Never to be seen again.
    You may find the Journey North an interesting thing to take a part in. The link is on my home page www.loubuscher.com take a look at it and follow an eagle with your computer back to it’s nesting sight up north via a satiate transmitter. Hope this helps and if not ask again and if I don’t know I bet I can find out.
    Lou

11. The great horned
    516199959_0a1f4910f1_o.
    Lou

12. Thanks Jose I do also and am looking foward to them growing. I have been watchig this pair for I think this is the 5th. year and have all their nestings reported on my web under the link red shoulder nesting if you care to look
    www.loubuscher.com
    Thanks Lou

13. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks for your answer Lou! I just spent a few minutes reading the info on your site and have bookmarked it. I know where I will be spending some time reading now. Good stuff!

There was a spot a few years ago where you could set your watch to a Great Horned Owl appearance. I kid you not, he would land in the same tree within 5 minutes of 5:00 pm every Saturday and Sunday during the winter. It was always too dark for photos but we were amazed at how quiet he was when flying over our heads. I read about the feather design back then and have been interested ever since.

14. Thanks Andy, I strongly suggest you look into Journey north when the next winter starts to set in. Pick a bird or several birds and the Lat. and Long. will be posted on all birds giving out a signal and I have to tell you a few years ago I was in on a trapping of a golden eagle here in N.Y. on a dairy farm and the DEC placed a satilate transmitter on it. They put out a signal every 54 hours and it is picked up in Albany N.Y by the DEC and posted for the readers to get the coordinates and go to mapquest and find out where their bird is. I did it with my two grand daughters and made a map and when it was over it was unbelievable how and where this bird traveled to get back to it's nesting sight. The DEC is now trying to capture the female of that male so they can find info on how a pair migrates. Do they go it alone or together??? Cool stuff and a great school project for the kids as many do it each year.
    Lou

15. Wonderul shot and excellent information.

16. Thanks Jim and glad you enjoyed it. I hope you may have even picked up a few things from the comments.
    Lou