A Lighting Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by greyflash, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I just purchased an umbrella, stand and bracket to hold my flash. I understand how this will work in TTL with my SB800 but have a question when I add an SB80 to the mix. The SB800 will be the master, the SB80 the remote and with this combo on a D2H it is my understanding that you have to set the SB800 in AA and the SB80 will trigger with SU-4 wireless. When you do this it would seem that with the SB800 pointing into the umbrella the flash sensor would not measure the light from the subject; ergo, would not shut off at the proper time. This in turn would cause the SB80 to follow the lead of the SB800. Am I wrong? Must I use the flashes in Manual? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi gordon,

Guess what , no one invited Jarrell Conely yet.. Think I'll send him and e-mail.. The man of light.

I have been watching on DPR in the lighting forum as Jarrell continues his quest for light.

Cheers
    Gale

3. Yes Gale, I too have followed his posts with interest. He has done some fine work of late.

4. I've invited Lee Stanstead as well.

Rich

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good. Thanks Rich and Gale and Gordon.... :D :D :D

Frank

6. Hi Gordon, This info may help you.

simply turn your SB-800 on, push the "mode" button on the back upper left until the readout says "M". then use your + or - keys to get it to read 1/64 or 1/32 which means it's 1/64 or 1/32 of full power--probably not enough to influence the exposure but enough to trigger the strobes. And that's it.

This technique should work whether you are using an SB80 as the slave light or vise versa.

Please let me know how it works.

Melissa

7. Thanks Melissa, I have been practicing with it and have figured out how to use it in manual. I finally decided to order another SB800 (which I did) so that I can use them both in iTTL or Standard TTL. This should make it easier. I appreciate your advise and will probably still use my SB80 with my D100.