A little Birdie Told me about this guy....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Nov 9, 2005.

1. While trolling around the Eastern Sierra during July 4th weekend I was given a tip about a Osprey nest near the June Lake Loop area. Climbed up the hill and found the nest the first monring and shot from below...

The next day while I was climbing higher up on the hill perched on a tree right out in the open with this guy. He was very cooperative and I set up and shot some images..

I know this image required some fill flash, but I left the flash and better beamer in the car DOH!!! :Shocked:

So this is one of the images I got that morning...

I was able to stay up there for several hours and shot several hundred images of the pair or Osprey in the nest as well ans them flying out getting more twigs and sticks...

Oh yeah tech info
    D2X
    Nikkor 300mm F/4
    Kenko 2.0x Pro 300 TC
    HSC (Hi-Speed Crop)
    Effective focal length was if math is correct 1200mm

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Focal length was 600 mm, not 1200 mm. Still a long lens, but nowhere in the domain of a true 1200mm.

3. well including the hi-speed crop which give a 2.0x FOV crop factor if I did the math right it would be 1200mm on the 300 with 2.0x TC? Thsi is how I figure the math including the crop factor...
    This is how I have figured it out as well as some others who shoot the D2X for the hi-speed crop factor...

=======================================

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like he was very cooperative. Nice capture. :smile:

BTW, I agree with Bjorn. The focal length of the lens / TC isn't changed by the crop factor. The percentage of the active sensor (film or CCD or whatever) covered is greater when the crop factor is taken into account, so the percentage of the frame filled by the subject is increased, but not the focal length.

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

good shot Eric
    Like reading the info too, just don't know nuttin about math :smile:

Weird things is your right, sometimes Mr. Osprey will allow a rather close approach (don't know why).

6. I just love these shots when the Osprey is looking dead into the lens! Kind of gives you the chills, like you'll be the next victim of those sharp talons! Yeooowwwchhhh

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shot of one of my faorite subjects.

8. thanks everyone