A little different view - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

The view of the falls has to be one of the most photographed locations in the world. Hopefully these are from a bit different perspective that you might enjoy.

You can hike down to the brink of the falls. It is a short but steep hike--3/8 mile with a 600 ft. elevation change.

Here is a view of the falls from the brink--taken on a cloudy day. The power of the water is awe inspiring.

Even though I've got so much new equipment this year, I'm finding the wants just don't end. I really need a new tripod. Mine is so heavy and I just don't take it places like this. I did the best I could, but luckily the wide angle lends itself to handholding pretty well.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 52502

Back up a few turns on the switchbacks, looking down on the overlook.

View attachment 52503

Looks like you handheld very well.

I like the 1st the best. The compostions of the other two are kind of confusing.

Overall, it looks green-ish. Did you increase green? Or, it's time to calibrate my monitor? Or, maybe, it really looked green like that? Just curious.

I've never been there, so thanks for sharing.

Masa said:
Looks like you handheld very well.

I like the 1st the best. The compostions of the other two are kind of confusing.

Overall, it looks green-ish. Did you increase green? Or, it's time to calibrate my monitor? Or, maybe, it really looked green like that? Just curious.

I've never been there, so thanks for sharing.

Masa,
Thank you for your observations. What looks green to you--everything, or just the water? The water was very green in the dark areas. But, if everything looks green then I'll recheck my white balance. I converted in ACR and had the temperature at 6500 and the tint at -2. My monitor is calibrated, but not the best monitor. The colors look pretty true to my eye. Please let me know if the canyon walls and sky look green to you. Like I said earlier, the water should be very green.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate knowing that the compositions look confusing to you.

R

RForshey

Very nice Terri, with the first being my favorite as well.. The water certainly looks green (which is typical), but everything else looks as it should.. Great job Terri, and nice post work..

RForshey said:
Very nice Terri, with the first being my favorite as well.. The water certainly looks green (which is typical), but everything else looks as it should.. Great job Terri, and nice post work..

Thanks for the check on my white balance, Randy. I appreciate your feedback here.

On my monitor and to my eyes, those cliffs (rocks) look a little green-ish. I wasn't talking about just the water. Maybe, that's the way it looked. I've been through a lot of red rocks, snow covered mountains, and gray rocks this year. So, maybe, those on your pics just look different from what I've been processing lately.

Terri,

I just adjusted the green level a tiny little bit. This looks more natural to me, but it may be a little too red. I wasn't there, so you'd be the judge.

BTW, I like this pic a lot.

63130175.esjFPo7E.original.jpg

D

DW Brewer

Terry:
No need to worry about the greens in your original image: they are true to the scene. In our four trips to Yellowstone, we have only ventured to this side of the Grand Canyon of the yellowstone one time, and we encountered a blizzard which made the footing on the descents quite slippery. We exercised caution and decided not to go to the brink of the falls. Thanks for posting these images. Now, if only we had the appropriate emoticons to suggest the roar of the water making its descent!

Hi Terri,

Lovely thank you,
I really like the first, great scale......
Definately one of the places i will visit when my wife and i can afford to 'come over'.

Kind Regards.

Nice shots Terri.

I too, like the first one.

WRT tripod weight. I purchased a Gitzo 1257 and the rigidity and weight combination are superb. The 1258 is basically the same but has one more leg extension.

Masa said:
On my monitor and to my eyes, those cliffs (rocks) look a little green-ish. I wasn't talking about just the water. Maybe, that's the way it looked. I've been through a lot of red rocks, snow covered mountains, and gray rocks this year. So, maybe, those on your pics just look different from what I've been processing lately.

Well Masa, you'll just have to visit Yellowstone someday. All the colors there are sort of weird. It's a one of a kind place, that's for sure.:biggrin:

Masa said:
Terri,

I just adjusted the green level a tiny little bit. This looks more natural to me, but it may be a little too red. I wasn't there, so you'd be the judge.

BTW, I like this pic a lot.

63130175.esjFPo7E.original.jpg

Glad you liked the picture. This is a little too red. There are a few red spots in the cliffs, but most of it is yellow, kind of a greenish yellow, now that you mention it. Thanks for giving the photo a try. I'm glad you thought enough of it that you wanted to make it better. Obviously, from your photos, you are a real perfectionist.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful shots, Terri.

I went to the same spot when I last visited Yellowstone, but it was 20 years ago! Thanks for the memories.

DW BRewer said:
Terry:
No need to worry about the greens in your original image: they are true to the scene. In our four trips to Yellowstone, we have only ventured to this side of the Grand Canyon of the yellowstone one time, and we encountered a blizzard which made the footing on the descents quite slippery. We exercised caution and decided not to go to the brink of the falls. Thanks for posting these images. Now, if only we had the appropriate emoticons to suggest the roar of the water making its descent!

I'm glad you didn't go on this hike in a blizzard. If you slipped off the trail, it would be a long fall.

That water is loud, isn't it. It's power is really awe inspiring.

Phil K said:
Beautiful shots, Terri.

I went to the same spot when I last visited Yellowstone, but it was 20 years ago! Thanks for the memories.

It's been at least 15 years since I was at this same spot. My daughter was here with her baby and she wanted to go there, as she was just a young girl when we were there before. It is a paved trail so we could take the stroller there.

BTW, I took a photo at our 4th of July parade just for you. I'll post it soon and send you a note alerting you to it.

Terri French said:
Well Masa, you'll just have to visit Yellowstone someday. All the colors there are sort of weird. It's a one of a kind place, that's for sure.:biggrin:

Yeah, like I said, lately, I've visited too many red rock places (Utah and Arizona) and too many blue/gray looking places (Yosemite), so your Yellowstone looked kind of green-ish.:wink:

I've been to Yellowstone once, but it was about 13 years ago. I don't remember much. Hopefully, I can visit there some time soon.:smile:

Lovely shots that bring back memories of my favorite place in the world.

Thanks,

T

TonyBeach

The 1'st one is great

You captured the steepness very well and that's not easy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom