A little disturbing, Cormorant with a problem

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RonS, Dec 19, 2005.

1. I was reviewing some shots from Lake Fenwick, located in Kent, WA. As usual, the heads were OOF, so I was ready to delete. I happened to zoom in to 100% on this Cormorant and noticed the fishing line on his chest.

I assume he is not hurting since he flew away like the others did.

Oh well, not much I can do and he seems not to be harmed.

[​IMG]

100% zoom of the chest.

[​IMG]

If this is not a Cormorant, let me know. Still learning to ID these.

2. Ron that is always sad to see. This is another good think about photography. It helps to enlighten people. Who knows it may make a good news story.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awww that is sooo sad. He does not look real happy.
    Damn I hate it when people are so careless.
    Yeah send to your local Audubon or newpaper with a bit of a story maybe.

4. Just for a bit of perspective here, while this is a sad situation it is quite different than seeing a bird with a Six-Pack Plastic Holder stuck on it's body. In this case the bird was after either a piece of bait or something that was hooked, both the bird and the fisherman after the same meal so to speak. If the line broke as the bird was trying to get away, then I class this an unfortunate situation, no one to blame, but if the fisherman was just too lazy to reel the bird in and release it, then the fisherman is scum.

As an aside, we used to have this happen frequently in Southern California with Cormorants, Gulls and Pelicans. I will tell you it is no fun at all having an annoyed bird on your boat flapping, kicking and biting while you try to release it, and danged if I ever had one say "Thank You". And to think I had given it a free meal too :wink: . The best thing to do in a situation like this, should you ever encounter one, is to not try to remove the hook, just cut the line right at the hook, the hook will usually rust out and not be a bother. The line is the problem, it is liable to get caught on somthing else and then the bird cannot escape.

As I stated before, Six-Pack holders and plastic bags are an entirely different story, and an indictiment of lazy people.....

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

This is a sad sight. I have several similar shots taken where fishermen and birds often go after the same fish. I do agree with Bill that generally it happens through no particular fault of the fishermen. Occasionally I see a wad of fishing line with the hook still attached along the shore though and that really burns me up.

Unfortunately, as long as people and animals hunt and fish in the same areas, this will continue to occur, to the detriment of the animals. :frown: