A little late, but...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by cwilt, Dec 26, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This house is about 1/2 mile away. Shot handheld. The only time I use the 70-200vr on the D2x now.
    49721693-O.

2. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    A little late?

Looks right on time to me...

I'm half Armenian. Armenians celebrate Christmas on January 6.

Armenians aren't the last. There's the Orthodox Greek celebration on January 8.

(technically, Orthodox Greeks celebrate it on a day they call December 25, but their calandar is 14 days off from the Gregorian that you're probably used to, so you could say they celebrate December 25 on January 8).

3. Nice photo.

I say we should all be a little Armenian this time of year. Nothing wrong with multiple Christmases!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really like only the loghts with out the house itself showing. Really cool
    Good Job.

And Happy all year.. Hows that :>))))

5. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Gale,

If you shoot your own house, or you can get a homeowner to cooperate, try this...

Set up on a tripod.

Shoot the house with the lights on, on manual exposure.

Shoot the hosue with the lights off, on manual exposure, entirely the same settings, and careful not to move the tripod.

Convert both images in Nikon Capture, ACR, whatever your raw converter of choice is, with identical settings on both conversions.

Open them both in PhotoShop, copy the "lights off" image onto a layer in the "lights on" image.

Set the blend mode of the "lights off" layer to "difference". This should cause everything except the lights to disappear into absolute black.

If you see outlines of the house, it means there was slight camera motion. Zoom in 100% or 200%, then move the "lights off" layer slightly until the outlines go away.