A little lens lust and Cool and Osprey!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by snownow, Jul 12, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    So first of all any one got an ID on this guy?

Second oh do i lust for 400mm and more, all four cropped a bit, i would have loved a 300mm prime and a TC or even better 200-400 (enter drool here).

And lastly, on my way home recently i have noticed a large flock of big black birds (see other post later tonight). so, i head down to check them out and what do i run in to? See below.

DSC_0078.

Naa it cant be, he has dinner with him/her

mmm mmm good.
    DSC_0052.

DSC_0038.

EDIT, last two a bit over sharp..... i will have to fix that after dinner

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Nice shots of an Osprey and un pescado muertos.

3. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Title changed, thanks for the ID. Sorry I dont know the birds too well, and did not even know they lived here.

4. Not too shabby at all, in fact I'd say Darned Good! Is that a Bass it is carrying? What part of the country? What lens DID you use?

It is also pretty interesting to see that it still has Red Eyes. When the chicks are born, the eyes are black, then turn red after a few weeks, going to Yellow when they fully mature. I'd guess this one was born a few months ago, and has not fully matured yet. Ours hang around until about the end of August/early September and then migrate to the West Coast of Mexico for the winter. We see them back in late March/early April when they start building the nest again.

Really cool birds, but once they hook you, well, you are hooked for life :biggrin:

Keep up the good shooting.

5. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Taken at a local reservoir, in Lake Forest Ca., south of LA. 70-300 vr lens. The fish im not so sure, bunch of different kinds in there. And a big fish die off, that i will post in the morning. :(

6. Very nice Robert!

7. Great shots for someone who is "lens challenged"! Been there, done that, own a t-shirt (and now a 400 :biggrin:)

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Nice, Robert!

You didn't by chance have fish for dinner, did you?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Osprey captures Robert. One of my favorite birdies. :smile:

10. Nice set of captures. And has been said, shooting Osprey can become additive.

11. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Beautiful Job.

12. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Funny, I'm thinking of heading back today or tomorrow early AM.... Now that i know they are around. Thanks I'm glad you all liked them.

13. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal

Ouch, and how do I pull off the "oh' dear, it seems i fell down and spend 6k-8k on a new lens..."

14. A fish Hawk for sure the Osprey is one of the most acrobatic birds. Well captured series

15. I was very lucky last fall - my company paid a 5 digit bonus after taxes, so I just told my spouse it was going to happen, justifying it because it was likely to be the last vear such an amount would be paid out because of a merger, so it had to be then or never.

I got a dirty look, but she never hit me! :biggrin:

BTW it was 8K, because I added a TC20 the day I picked up the 400.

16. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    8k Ouch, i can see her car backing up over me with the lens now... :)

17. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I really like my 70-300vr and $7.5k still in the bank.