A little light on the subject

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by hangin tree, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Orchids.

Just playing with light.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh wow that is beautiful

3. Thanks Gale

I bet you thought I only took pictures of Eagles. Ha Fooled ya

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yep ya fooled me
    But I think you took the plant with you to shoot eagles and when they were being boring shot the orchids:>))))))

5. Ha Ha Ha LOL

Actually I shot the orchid in my kitchen with a wooden chair, a black nylon windbreaker over the back, the flower on the seat and a flashlight from my truck.

6. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    nothing like a poor mans studio.. great job...

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lolol
    Worked great
    I used to use an old black sweater...lol
    They say velvet it better though

8. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

Thats a great idea thanks i want to try it now:biggrin: very nice image also!

9. You got it, I'm not really a indoor shooter so I was playing on a rainy day

It would be, But if you shoot with a shallow DOF and keep a seperation between the flower and th BG it really make little difference.

If you do try it try to have normal indoor light on the front and I used a LED Flashlight at a angle on the backside to let the flower to bring the light to the front.

10. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    Love your shot. I have been trying to get mine to look like this. (with no luck) Makes me want to try again.

11. That's an awesome looking picture. I must get a velvet backboard....

12. It is not a hard shot Kim, the key is to use LED light on the back side for added light and normal light from front, No Flash!!!

Thanks Jimmy

The background here was a black windbreaker Far enough from the Flower and Outside DOF.

13. It sounds pretty simple. But i have not macro lens, i can try it with my kit lens though.

14. Your Kit lens will work fine.

This shot was made with a 85mm f1.8 EXIF attached to photo.

ISO 100
    f8
    Shutter 1 sec.
    Exp= 0

15. Love this shot - I'm gonna have to try it. Now I just have to find a suitable flower... ;-)

16. Thanks Vern Good luck

17. Beautiful! That pure white reminds me of a commercial for a washing powder :smile: .

Cheers

18. Thanks Harry

Is is almost a pearl color

19. husawis

husawis Guest

Gary, nice shot. White orchids are reall difficult to balance because of the relective petal surfaces. You did a great job here.

20. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Wonderful shot, I guess all it take is some creativity......you naile it. Great job - Jeff