1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A llitle help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Lutke, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    My wife and I are working our way across the U.S. on our bicycles. I have my camera and Nikon 18 - 200 in a bag on the back of my bicycle. However when I took it out for a picture, the large glass fell out of the lens. I recovered all the parts but would like to have a camera shop check it. We will be in Boise on Saturday and Sunday. Would anyone know if there is a camera shop in "Boise that would check this for me?

Doug

2. Ouch! That's the second incident I have heard of like that with the 18-200VR. One of ours had a loose front element during our recent trip through Spain, but by being careful we managed to continue using it through the trip and sent it back to Nikon upon our return.

Hope it's not destroyed.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    You best hope that you don't need new parts. I put mine in for repair for the exact same problem. That was May 23rd. I just got a call today telling me the necessary parts will arrive on July 22nd.

4. I would like to know if you had any advance warning of this problem. Was there looseness in the front element prior to the incident? I'm going to be watching both of mine very carefully now.

5. I suspect it is the constant vibration from the bike.

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

In my case, I didn't pay attention to the front element because I just couldn't conceive of it getting loose and falling out. However, I was shooting with it earlier in the day and having problems focusing (either AF or manual). I remember thinking that I may need to send it for repair when I got back home.

Little did I know...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.