A Lucky Find

I was digging through a closet and found this deep in the back. So, naturally, I had to photograph it with the strobes. I'm guessing it was my father's.

Voightlander-7490-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then I decided to try something a little different and added some props. Lighting is the same, with some shadowing (using a feather duster - hey, you use what ya got) to shadow the head of the dingus to reduce a nasty glare. No, this is not selective coloring! :biggrin:

Voightlander-w-MK-Falcon-75.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Every PI needs a Voightlander.​

This bird is difficult to light! (It's his fourth time in front of the camera.) I can see I've still got some practicing to do! :Swirl:

C&C invited.

Looks like a very fine camera to me. Are you going to see if it still works?

I've been playing with it a bit, and it seems to work. Bellows don't make a sound and seem light tight, too. I doubt I'll run any film through it, though.

I thought it was, until I opened it up. It's 35mm.

As a reference, the falcon is 11-1/2 inches tall.

I'm glad to hear that it's in good condition, considering its age it looks very tidy.

If you are interested in using it I'm sure the folk over on the film forum will have plenty of encouragement and advice for you. I'm sure it'd be refreshingly different from your D40.

Run film through that bad boy. There's a reason Voigtlander is still around today... and it's because those early cameras were very nice. Wonderful find... I'm jealous.

That model sells for around $100+ on eBay. The Vito III is worth well beyond that. My father owns a Voigtlander medium format from the same era. Still works and takes some great photos.

Since that camera is 35mm, you're only out about $7 by putting a roll through it. Might as well see how it still works.

Here's the manual
http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/vitoII/vitoII.html
Bunch of samples on flickr. Camera really does a nice job.
http://flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=vito+II&m=text

I love the Maltese Falcon! If you get sick of it, send it my way. :biggrin:

The hat, camera & falcon make for an excellent shot. Very cool. :cool:

Thank you very much for the information, Dan1son! I can certainly use it! :smile:

Don't count on me growing tired of the falcon anytime soon, Rosner. :biggrin: I got the dingus just a couple weeks ago. I got it from a man who, for a few hours, managed to get his hands on one of the original prop birds from the movie, and created this one, which is the best reproduction you can get. Unfortunately, he only makes them in very limited quantities. He made the first run in 2003. Only a dozen. A few months ago he brought out the molds and did another run of about two dozen. It was very lucky timing that made it possible for me to get it. It could very well be another five years before he does another run. (Naturally, he still owns the first one he made. He had it gold plated!)

Here's a another picture of it that I took this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom