A lunchtime Woody?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by merlin50, Nov 9, 2005.

1. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Being new to the Cafe I thought I'd post an image when/as time permitted, so here we go. My first image post. Got this two weeks ago at Santee Lakes near San Diego. As I recall it was taken with the D2X, 500 AFS + TC1.7. Feel free, I take criticism reasonably well!:smile: Unfortunately Photobucket limits the size.

Dave

Woody.

2. That is one great capture!!! The only criticism I could possibly have on this shot is to change your signature to an opaque white so that the only red is the eye and the beak, saves the eyes from pulling to the signature and away from your great capture of this woodduck! Perfect DOF too!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

First of all, welcome to the Cafe. You have certainly started out in style. Many, many of use would love to get a shot of these guys.

Well done. :smile:

As to Sandi's comment about the sig, I have a PS CS action that docs my sig to the bottom right of the image (could also be the bottom left, or top left / right), and uses an embossed look with the image background colors for the actual sig text if you are ever interested. Just drop me a PM. :wink:

4. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Thank you both! I have been experimenting with the signature part so any/all help is welcome! PM being sent.

Thanks,
    Dave

5. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Since it's still in keeping with the thread title here's the "better half" of the pair.

BTW - I can't find any rules regarding image posting so I relay on someone to please advise if I do violate a rule. it won't be intentionally.

Dave

FemaleWoody.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

We like to keep the size to about 960 pixels in width, just so that our members can see the entire image without scrolling, but it is not a hard and fast rule. I and others post a little bigger every now and then. In addition, there are some members that are still on dial-up, so we like to keep image file sizes as small as possible without compromising the quality. We don't follow that guideline very well though (my typical file size is 350 - 500KB). :redface:

Regards,

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

These are both very nice Merlin
    You've done well to capture the muted colors in the female, very well in fact

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent.
    Welcome aboard !!!

9. Welcome to the board Merlin! I've heard the woodies hang out in Santee Lake, good job on your part being from Chicago finding a secret Wood Duck location!

Great captures for sure!

10. Great job Merlin. Wood Ducks are beautiful creatures and you've captured them well.

louie

11. Your wood ducks are beautiful birds. Although the males are more colourful, I prefer your shot of the female here. The softer colours stand out against the pale blue of the water, and the ripple around her is perfect! There are more colours in the water of the first shot so the bird doesn't stand out as well, but I like the reflection.

12. Sorry for the second post, but these pictures of the wood ducks reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask. Are any of you familiar with the 'Carolina' or 'Carolinas' duck? I saw some in a bird park, didn't manage to get any decent pictures of them, but they had similar markings to the wood ducks or mandarins, but less multi-coloured. If I remember rightly they were native to North America.

:smile:

13. Sure would love to add this "birdie" to my collection. Have never seen one. Great capture. Love the colors!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Puzzle,

It is my understanding that the name 'Carolinas duck' is just the European name for what is called a Wood Duck in the States.

See this link:

http://www.greatnorthern.net/~dye/wood-duck.htm

Regards,

15. Thanks for the link Frank - my photos must have been worse than I thought, the only colours that came through in them are the black, white markings and a sort of burgundy colour! But when I saw all these shots of the wood duck I thought they must have been related.

Thanks again for finding that information for me!

16. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Thanks to all. Woodies present a special metering challenge in order to prevent blowing out the highlights. These are the first acceptable images I've been able to manage despite several attempts!

Dave