1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A magazine wants one of my photos....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam O, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I'm new to this so suggestions from those with experience would be appreciated. An airline magazine from Asia has approached me about using one of my images on flickr. They're offering a small sum for each use "if approved" but they need a high rez version to get approval. I uploaded a full size image to my Zen folio site but with a watermark across it. The contact said they can't use it with the watermark because the client has high expectation, what ever that means. Obviously he wants a watermark free full size image.

What is industry practice for this situation? If he were to go to a stock site, I don't think he would have access to the images without buying first, correct? Suggestions?

2. I call BS! Don't give them anything hi-res without conpensation! Depending on usage you should charge them accordingly. I repeat, don't put anything hi-res up until you are paid! They can tell well enough with a low-res whether they like a shot or not.

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I have to agree there - Unless you have a relationship w/ a particular mag.

4. Ditto. Don't do it.

5. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    I agree to. I always send pics with watermark on to new clients. if they want the pics they pay and then recieve the pictures they will use... thats normal procedure in Denmark where I live.

6. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Yeah, if it's legit, they should be familiar with the way this works - watermarked image for approval, then contract to receive clean, high res.

Being that it's on flikr, they probably think they are dealing with a point and shoot amateur, and they may try to pull one over on you, or at the very least try to under-compensate you. Just be on your toes, and represent yourself professionally (even if you aren't).

7. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    Lastly, that is not a good way to start a long lasting relationship...

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Do some sleuthing on the contact. Are they using a corporate email address ? Are they legit ? Are their communications professional with full contact information ? I have done some deals where I have sent files for approval or before receiving payment. Although these deals were with well known institutions and not individuals or small businesses. (example...Simon Schuster, Radio City Music Hall, Hudson Valley Mag, BBC, Houston Museum Natural Sciences, etc )

If they seem to be a large and legitimate publishing house, I would send the file for approval. Its worth the risk and your photo isn't generating any monies just sitting at flicker.

Congrats and Good Luck :) 

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    The "small sum" should be around $200/image given a magazine with a circulation of 10,000 or less, with the image being 1/4 page. Full page would be worth $350/image. These are market standards, and I'd advise that you not accept much less.

10. PAYMENT FIRST. OR paypal you. but PAYMENT FIRST !!!

11. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Is there an article or list somewhere of what market standards are? If someone wanted to use my photo, I have no clue as to how much to charge. I do have the library's copy of "The Photographer's Market". Is what's in there true for today's prices, or is that old before it gets published?

Thanks,
    Carole

12. Take a look through the Photographer's market book. There really is no "standard" pricing. It really varies depending on what the publication can and is willing to pay.

Some pay $50 for inside use and $100 for cover, others $300 inside, $600 cover, and everywhere in between. It's really all over the place.

13. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks, Rodney. I'm going to go through the book while I have it out. Then I may get my own copy that I can mark up :) 

Carole

14. http://www.fotoquote.com

Sean

15. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I use Fotoquote, which is based on surveys of photographers and payments for photos used. I won't even consider a sale to any source for less than $50, and my normal low ball fee is $100. I've sold images to several in-flight magazines, and I've charged fees as quoted in my previous post. If you quote a fee that is higher than the magazine can afford to pay, they will normally tell you and offer a lower fee. Remember it is a negotiation, and if you quote a fee that is low, you can't very easily increase the fee. Only once in my 35 years making my living selling photos, I had one (and only one) client tell me that the fee I quoted was too low (it was MasterCard, and they wanted to use one of my photos; I quoted $700, they told me it was too low, and told me it should be at least $1500. I immediately knew that I could have gone as high as $2000, but could not increase the fee after quoting a lower price, so I accepted the $1500)

Remember, the client came to you for your photo. They like it, and want to use it. They should pay a decent price for the use.

16. It looks like I should order fotoquote, but I'll go ahead and ask this anyway. Does the same pricing standard apply to local newspapers? I've had a couple of local, small town newspapers ask to publish a few of my shots of the local high school sports teams. In the past, and since I'm an amateur, I've just given them the shots, and taken the photo credit. I'm pretty sure that I've outgrown that phase and really don't know how to price my work. Thanks for your help.

Keith
    North Carolina

17. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd be flattered just to know that someone wanted one of my pictures. Congrats on that whether you get paid or not!

18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Keith: Smaller newspapers can't normally afford very high prices. I've had a small town newspaper ask to publish one of my images, and they could not pay my minimum fees, so we arranged a deal, that they would send me the newspaper for a year to my PO box in exchange for the use of one of my images. There is always some way to negotiate a deal, and I think you should get something for your images, not simply give them away.

19. Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply...I suspected that was the answer but was holding out hope that the locals could/would pay your mentioned rate.

Keith

20. This brings me to a question, and I hope someone can answer without my totally hijacking the thread, but is $17 per printed photo low for a small daily newspaper?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.