1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Man and His Bird

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by JustinD, Aug 14, 2008.

1. I finally had time to get the first roll of film developed that I took with the Nikon F that I ended up winning all those months ago. This was really the only shot that turned out...most of the shots I took were ridiculously out of focus (manual focus is a bit more complicated than I was expecting!). I have a couple other rolls waiting to be developed including a roll of black and white that I'm hoping turned out better. Exposure wise everything seemed pretty decent but the focus...yikes!

This film was some cheap Kodak 400. The grain is pretty hairy...not that I mind, I quite like it actually, but it's more than I was expecting.

I had to clone out a whole hand in the bottom left part of the frame that otherwise ruined the shot, so, while it could have been done better only practiced eyes should be able to notice.

larabeebird.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's a nice portrait Justin. The grain makes for a pleasing patina over the picture.

3. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    It looks pretty good to me, I like it. I agree with Chris, it is a good portrait. Nothing wrong with manual focus, I rarely use the auto focus on my D80. Guess I'm just not used to doing it automatically. :biggrin:

4. I was kind of surprised by the grain. My digital background probably had something to do with that!

Thanks, Michael. I'm a fan of auto focus. With the F everything about the process of capturing an image feels very slowed down and...more precise (even when the focus is off). Having to manually deal with every aspect is kinda cool and something I'm hoping I get better at with practice

5. Just wait till every scene you see registers an EV (exposure value) in your head...:rolleyes: 
    I like it too, his expression makes the shot.

6. Justin, after a while manual focus will become second nature. Most of the time I don't even use the split image!

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ray, I found that, after using a rangefinder for a month, slr focussing was difficult. Probably just my eyes.

8. i love the grain as well
    thanks for showing us the one

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Greg, do you ever shoot film? If so, I think you should post some of it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.