1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A man and his dream

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by kilofoxtrott, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:45 AM.

1. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Over decades there was a legend told of a model railway that was sited somewhere in the cellar of Stuttgart's railway station. The builder was Wolfgang Frey.
    He started building his own houses in scale 1/160 at age of 15. Later he became a worker in the railway control center of the Stuttgart station. At this point he got access to the cellar of the station. For 35 years he built his own Stuttgart railway system.
    It is told he was arrested several times while metering and photographing houses in the aera.
    Police knew him and told the owners that he is harmless.
    2012 he died at age of 52 from cancer and only a handful people knew where the model railway was. At the time the DB (German Railway) started to reconstruct the station. It was possible to save the model and today its's on exhibition showing Stuttgart as it appeared in the late 80's.

(1) Stuttgart station to the left
    D3S_0024.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(2) Shopping center "Kaufhof"
    D3S_0030.JPG

(3) Part of the depot
    D3S_0014.JPG

(4) The depot again
    D3S_0020.JPG

(5) Some houses
    D3S_0026.JPG

(6) Street life
    D3S_0032.JPG

(7) Main building of the station
    D3S_0034.JPG

(8) Buildings were built even interior
    D3S_0061.JPG

This whole work was done by only one man. He built all buidings by his own...

Something stunning
    Klaus

• Wow Wow x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. All I can say is WOW, how amazing... :eek: 
    Klaus, you captured it extremely well... (y)

3. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Thank you Wally.
    But I will return there with the right equipment, like a macro lens and light.

Kind regards
    Klaus

4. Very nice. Yes, show some more.

5. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    OK, Alex...
    Here is one of the Prag Cemetary. When Mr. Frey didn't liked someone a tombstome got the name :cool: :cool: :cool: .
    D3S_0003.JPG

His daughter remembers she was sitting there for hours cutting erasers to small pieces :) :D :p .

Enjoy
    Klaus

6. a-man17

a-man17

Mar 29, 2017
    Only One Word Awesome, Great Job

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. That’s really neat. What materials did he use?

8. What a masterpiece, and what a shame Wolfgang Frey passed at an early age. By the level of detail, he obviously “lived” in his personal train world.

Thank you for sharing, Klaus. :) 

9. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Hi Jim,
    for the ground construction he used everything available. After transferring the plates to the actual location the new owners heard it cracking for two weeks...
    The buildings were mede of plastic boards. Here in Germany every waggon has a sign at every side showing the route of the train. He used these old signs. Even to build the caochwork of some trucks...

It is really impressive
    Klaus

10. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Don, don't ask the family about. The house he owned was nearly disappropriated...

A nerd of a special kind
    Klaus

11. A wonderful story, beautifully illustrated! Thank you, Klaus.

12. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Wonderful story Klaus I remember the old Stuttgart Railroad station from the 60"s when I was stationed in Esslingen

13. An interesting story and nicely captured, Klaus. Do you think his bosses were embarassed when they found the model and realized they'd paid a man for 35 years to build it?:confused: 

14. lol, perhaps he and I are in the same lineage.....my forebears first came to America from Germany in the early to mid 1700's.....my forum name is aptly chosen, as I am descended from German, native American and Scotch-Irish, among others

15. Incredible, I use to dream about building a layout when I was a kid. But this is well beyond and great shots. Do you have one that captures all or most in one?

16. That is amazing. Looks like he thought of every detail. I do hope you return with a macro lens and light so we can see more photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    I was only equipped with the 85mm. :( 
    But I'll return with more lenses this year...

Kind regards
    Klaus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.