A Memorial Day remembrance

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by BostonRott, May 22, 2007.

1. Every year about this time, somone (or someone-s??) in the town of Holliston makes these signs, to commemorate those who have died in the Iraq war. They are placed on the phone poles of the town. Last year, they came into my town too. It really makes you think as you drive past them, and to see so many YOUNG people dead........it's very sad.

While driving home, I came across this dense display along a row of phone poles used as a fence.

Please keep the men & women of the Armed forces in prayer this Memorial Day. I am thankful to those who have fought and died for my freedom, and I thank those who are still over there continuing the battle. THANK YOU!

View attachment 97102

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you for sharing this moving site! It is great to remember those who put their lives on the line every day for our freedom!! I am a proud step dad of a 24 yr old girl risking it all in the US Navy today.

3. Thank you for posting this, it is always an honor to remember those who risked and gave up everything in order to serve their country.

4. It really is a neat memorial. I wonder each year how long it takes him to make all the signs and put them up.

This year, I also saw a section for UK, Canada and Netherlands soldiers. Not as easy to photograph because they're on regular phone poles, and thus more spread apart.......but I'm hoping to give it a shot. :smile:

5. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Not Forgotten.
    Thanks for taking the time to stop and photograph the memorials.

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Absolutly not forgotten...Thanks for posting.

7. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Very nice Gretchen, I really liked these alot.

8. You're welcome, and thank YOU for enjoying them. :smile:

Agreed! I am always VERY thankful for service time served by ALL of our veterans. Thank you ALL for the job that you do! :smile:

Good, I was getting worried that people felt this was a "no no" issue or something. :redface:

I hope people don't think this post is a political positioning on the war....it's not. I'm the most apolitical person you'll ever meet, but I'm EXTREMELY patriotic and VERY thankful for those who have given their lives. Stuff like this memorial really is powerful to me, I just wanted to share. :smile:

9. What truly moving images Gretchen. Great job.

10. Thank you! :smile:

I found a local newspaper article which talked about this. It's one man's mission. He does it twice a year, Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. The signs represent the soldiers killed from the last time he put them up. For this Memorial Day, it's over 400.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you so much Gretchen
    I always find words come hard. I choak up.

Let me just add something anyway

12. Very moving.

This is always a depressing holiday for me. Hint: I come from a military family.

13. Many of my college friends, and my current co-workers are military people. I have the UTMOST respect for the sacrifice they give.

Thank you to all of our veterans and active duty staff!!!!

14. Gary, that is absolutely STUNNING!!!!

15. I felt it appropriate.