A Momentary Lapse of Reason

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I have been debating a drastic reorganisation of the "gear cupboard" for some time. I have always used Nikon and it was only the lack of a successor to the D300 that led me into the Olympus M43 camp, a system that seemed revolutionary and the future of digital ILS cameras at the time. 5 bodies and God Knows how many lenses with two systems is just too much.

My interest in Architectural photography and shift lenses, led me back to a second hand D700, which was quickly substituted with a SH D810: My M43 was just not getting used anymore. But the D810 is not a "travel camera". I thought I would drift back to M43 for some things and for travel, and so hesitated about ditching the system.

A successful experiment with the one lens one camera D810 24-120 on a long mountain hike got me thinking about a Z7. Doing some arithmetic, I found the Z7 with the up coming 24-200 weighed about the same as an EM1 with the 12-100.

At the end of our lockdown a local dealer was heavily discounting a Z7 + 24-70F4 with FTZ adaptor to get his business moving again. In a sudden moment of folly I collected all my M43 gear together the heap of boxes and carted it off to part exchange for a Z7. The change did not cost me too much and SH prices for M43 seem to be falling fast. I have a habit of sudden decision making.

The die had been cast and the Rubicon crossed.

I just decided that the LX100 was all I needed for small camera duties.

So far I am very pleased with this camera the IBIS is better than on my old EM5 and it is not much heavier than the EM5 with a standard 2.8 zoom lens. With the wide angle zoom and/or the 24-200 this will make a fantastic travel system.

The only downside I have come across is that with my MF shift lenses, I will have only have 3 axis IBIS. I was hoping that I would be able to use a shift lens with the Z7 in places where tripods are not allowed. It seems my F lenses will only have 4? axis IBIS too. Nikon is not too clear about this aspect.

A couple of "test shots" I took in town to get the the feel of this fantastic beast.

DSC_0085_DxOsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_0153_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_0104_DxOsmall.jpg

"I found the Z7 with the up coming 24-200 weighed about the same as an EM1 with the 12-100." Yes!

I really enjoyed the EM1.II along with the 12-40 and 12-100. I think the rating for the EM1.II was something around 6 - 6.5 stops stabilization and up to 7.5 with their Dual IS on the 12-100. I agree that the Z6/7 are probably a bit below the EM1.II and I miss some of the bells and whistles - the pro-capture mode, the relatively high speed silent shutter . . . but the Z7 wins on dynamic range, high ISO performance, and the fact that, in comparison, every shot is high resolution.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"I found the Z7 with the up coming 24-200 weighed about the same as an EM1 with the 12-100." Yes!

I really enjoyed the EM1.II along with the 12-40 and 12-100. I think the rating for the EM1.II was something around 6 - 6.5 stops stabilization and up to 7.5 with their Dual IS on the 12-100. I agree that the Z6/7 are probably a bit below the EM1.II and I miss some of the bells and whistles - the pro-capture mode, the relatively high speed silent shutter . . . but the Z7 wins on dynamic range, high ISO performance, and the fact that, in comparison, every shot is high resolution.
If it is optically good then the Z7 with the 24-200 will be a killer combination for hiking and travel.

I too had a moment recently! And a Z7 winged it’s way to my door, the idea being to have more elbow room for cropping and straightening and associated Image manipulation, my Z6 went in PX! Obviously the differences to the Z6 is mainly the sensor, handling and ergonomics are for all practical purposes are identical, but it seems to me that the Z7 is a bit faster in operation,
Quite subjective but that is my impression so far. Seems snappier!
Of course I, benefit from all my lenses and accessories easily fit the new body.
Can’t really justify the expense, but what the hell you only live once! Plus I get the pleasure of getting acquainted with a new. Camera, always a pleasure!
All I need now is for my holiday to be confirmed for late July and I’ll be a happy bunny!

Doing some arithmetic, I found the Z7 with the up coming 24-200 weighed about the same as an EM1 with the 12-100.
Where did you find data on the Nikon Z 24-200 that includes weight?

I have been looking forward to the new Nikon Z 24-105 as an upgrade to the 24-70 for travel. I pretty much dismissed the 24-200 as too large a zoom range for good optics, but maybe I'm wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------

Added in edit: I now see that the lens is already described in detail on the Nikon USA web page.

Last edited:

I have been looking forward to the new Nikon Z 24-105 as an upgrade to the 24-70 for travel. I pretty much dismissed the 24-200 as too large a zoom range for good optics, but maybe I'm wrong.

Added in edit: I now see that the lens is already described in detail on the Nikon USA web page.
I too am waiting on the 24-105. I’m assuming that since it is S class (and the 24-200 is not) that the 105 should have better sealing and probably better edge to edge performance . . . And hopefully constant f4 or better. But honestly I used and loved the Olympus 12-100 which was optically fine for a travel lens and given the performance of other Nikon Z lenses I’m expecting the 24-200 to match it.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I too had a moment recently! And a Z7 winged it’s way to my door, the idea being to have more elbow room for cropping and straightening and associated Image manipulation, my Z6 went in PX! Obviously the differences to the Z6 is mainly the sensor, handling and ergonomics are for all practical purposes are identical, but it seems to me that the Z7 is a bit faster in operation,
Quite subjective but that is my impression so far. Seems snappier!
Of course I, benefit from all my lenses and accessories easily fit the new body.
Can’t really justify the expense, but what the hell you only live once! Plus I get the pleasure of getting acquainted with a new. Camera, always a pleasure!
All I need now is for my holiday to be confirmed for late July and I’ll be a happy bunny!
Well the expense was at my limit. I traded in everything I was not using, which was all my M43 gear. But being stuck at home for two months with the fierce Italian lockdown had the benefit of stopping me spending money on "everyday" things.

Plus I think we have all come to learn that you only live once, especially with the media pumping out the fact every day that at 62 I was a prime candidate for the cemetery.

I went for the Z7 because I knew that with the Z6, I would be lusting for the Z7.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel

I made a post on DPR in the M43 thread when I was trying to decide with several alternatives. ( I will not link because it got badly trolled by the usual idiots there, and the Moderators do not seem to care.)

Here is the data I put together.

As an experiment, I hiked all day with my D810 and 24-120 F4 . This weighs in at 1690g not much more than my M43 - EM5 adding up to 1620g with the 7-14 and 1086g if I just have the other two 2.8 zooms. range.

A 12-100 lens on my existing EM5 and will have 421+561 = 982g

or a Panasonic 12-60 2.8-4 on my EM5 and have 421 + 320 = 741g

But if I also look to Nikon FF, I also have some interesting choices

A Z6 or Z7 weighs 675g If I add the new 24-200 F4-6.3, I have 675g + 570g =1245g

A bit too short but with the 24-70 F4 I have 1175g

I have carried 1600g quite often so that is my limit. 1200 is the ideal i think.

Jim if you mean me that 24-200mm lens won’t happen for me!, but I could be interested in a 24-105mm but not if it goes below f4 otherwise I’ll stick with the 24-70mm f4 which is superb!

Well the expense was at my limit. I traded in everything I was not using, which was all my M43 gear. But being stuck at home for two months with the fierce Italian lockdown had the benefit of stopping me spending money on "everyday" things.

Plus I think we have all come to learn that you only live once, especially with the media pumping out the fact every day that at 62 I was a prime candidate for the cemetery.

I went for the Z7 because I knew that with the Z6, I would be lusting for the Z7.
Nigel that’s exactly how I funded the Z6, I realise that I should have gone straight for the Z7! Of course it is said that hindsight is 20-20 vision!

I made a post on DPR in the M43 thread when I was trying to decide with several alternatives. ( I will not link because it got badly trolled by the usual idiots there, and the Moderators do not seem to care.)

Here is the data I put together.

As an experiment, I hiked all day with my D810 and 24-120 F4 . This weighs in at 1690g not much more than my M43 - EM5 adding up to 1620g with the 7-14 and 1086g if I just have the other two 2.8 zooms. range.

A 12-100 lens on my existing EM5 and will have 421+561 = 982g

or a Panasonic 12-60 2.8-4 on my EM5 and have 421 + 320 = 741g

But if I also look to Nikon FF, I also have some interesting choices

A Z6 or Z7 weighs 675g If I add the new 24-200 F4-6.3, I have 675g + 570g =1245g

A bit too short but with the 24-70 F4 I have 1175g

I have carried 1600g quite often so that is my limit. 1200 is the ideal i think.
IMHO, there is nothing better than a real world test like that.

This old man can't carry the kit weight I used to. And weight load evaluation is really hard to do without actual live testing. I had looked at stats and read comments, but in the end, real world using the gear for the expected number of hours told me way more than all my prior research.

One thing that I learned was that gear gets heavier as the hours pass.
What was easy to carry in the first 30 minutes, is hard on the arms after 5 hours.
On a sequential 2-game shoot (football and soccer), I usually shoot the JuniorVarsity game with a monopod, so my arms are able to shoot the Varsity game free-hand. Gone are my days of shooting both game free-hand.

I've been thinking about a Z7 as a companion to my m4/3, in a similar way that a 6x6 was a high rez companion to 35mm.

I have a question, why the 24-200?
With a Z7, I would expect to use the pro S-Line glass, to get max resolution out of the 45MP sensor.
Or is the 24-200 the travel lens, with a S-Line lens for home?
I was thinking about the 24-105 S. Bit more reach than the 24-70, so more of a GP lens.

Last edited:

This old man can't carry the kit weight I used to. And weight load evaluation is really hard to do without actual live testing. I had looked at stats and read comments, but in the end, real world using the gear for the expected number of hours told me way more than all my prior research.

What was easy to carry in the first 30 minutes, is hard on the arms after 5 hours.
On a sequential 2-game shoot (football and soccer), I usually shoot the JuniorVarsity game with a monopod, so my arms are able to shoot the Varsity game free-hand. Gone are my days of shooting both game free-hand.

I've been thinking about a Z7 as a companion to my m4/3, in a similar way that a 6x6 was a high rez companion to 35mm.

With a Z7, I would expect to use the pro S-Line glass, to get max resolution out of the 45MP sensor.
I was thinking about the 24-105 S. Bit more reach than the 24-70, so more of a GP lens.
Why the 24-200? Think of it like having a Oly 12-100 on a full frame sensor where every shot is nearly equivalent of a pixel-shifted shot for about the same weight as an EM1-II w/12-100 . . .

Yes the S glass is wonderful to use but often enough when traveling 'perfect is the enemy of good enough'.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel

Why the 24-200? I am looking for a one camera one lens solution for day hiking. I can take a little hit on image quality as a compromise if I can just carry one camera out of the rucksack. Gear that is in the rucksack usually stays there!

The 24-105 would be a good solution too, The 24-120 worked well with the D810

The Z7 was bought to do architectural photography too, thus the high resolution sensor.

Why the 24-200? Think of it like having a Oly 12-100 on a full frame sensor where every shot is nearly equivalent of a pixel-shifted shot for about the same weight as an EM1-II w/12-100 . . .

Yes the S glass is wonderful to use but often enough when traveling 'perfect is the enemy of good enough'.
Very much agree.

My 'travel lenses' are NOT pro grade lenses, they are 'good enough.'

Real Name
Steve
My lapse of reason last week...

DSCF8567.jpg

Real Name
Steve
Mechanically satisfying, great colors, sharp enough for anything but the most critical use... in APS-C. My friend tony-b and I shot side-by-sides today with this, Z7, and X-H1. The Z7 and GFX50R are so close. We both admit there is a depth and dimension to the Fuji RAW files, but the sharpness difference was inconsequential. Highly unscientific testing of course. The GFX had this 63mm, the Z7 had a native 50/1.8 (sharpest Nikon 50 ever?), and the X-H1 had a 35/1.4 (known to be a bit soft and magical), so the X-H1 fell short quickly. The Z7 and GFX50R are really, really close. I'm going to try to be happy with both, a great problem to have.

A quick portrait of my latest squeeze!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom