A Monsoon Storm Shot

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Desert Rat, Nov 13, 2005.

1. This is something I shot back in August 2005 in AZ. Near Phoenix is the Superstition Wilderness. This is a image of a monsoon storm that was coming in that night. :eek:

The sky had great clouds all day so I headed out for sunset.
    I got some sunset shots (eh!) but then noticed a area of dark clouds moving in and then started seeing cloud lightning. So I waited around as long as I could and tried several and I mean several shots to get a lightning bolt which would occur every now and then..
    After many many many (did I mention many tries) I caught one and only one before I had to bag it and leave..

I just made it back to the house before it started pouring rain that night. :BigGrin:

Enjoy

Comments and Critiques always welcome

Tech info
    D2X
    12-24mm set at 12mm
    F/20
    Exp. 2.2 seconds
    ISO 100
    EV -0.3
    Matrix Metering
    Aperature Priority

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is an amazing shot, I like it

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Phenomenal

Superb shot - got to be in a frame and on the wall!

Ray

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very impressive. Great color and good lightening bolt.

5. Wow!!
    The end is nigh ...

6. I love it, Eric. Just love it.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet image....well worth the effort to capture.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    The sky makes the picture, but I think I would just crop a very little off the top and some down the left side. Also clone out a small black post/stick that is just coming in to the picture near the bottom right side.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    That's a great shot. I agree with Todd, though, about the sky crop, the cactus doesn't bother me, maybe cause I know what it is!!!
    I tried a little lightning photographer in AZ years ago, it's tough and also quite dangerous. Be safe above all else, and I'm not talking about the rain!:eek:

10. Thank to Ben, Ray, Gale, Harry, frank Todd and anyone else I forgot to mention.

I was out shooting in AWB and it just did not work turned everyhting more blue.. So switched to cloudy figuring it was cloudy.. made the sky more interesting.
    I tried to spot the image since ther were a few of them, guess I missed that one.. Will spot it out when I make the print. I will look at it with the crop in the image as well..

Yep, I was getting a bit worried out there. I captured this shot of the lightning bolt and tried several more times for another one. The lightning was pretty far off but was moving closer to where I was so i packed it up and left.. It started raining cats and dogs as soon as I got the the garage at the house...

Someone already wants a 10x12 print of this image...

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Amazing timing and capture. As I see the (new?) critique symbol, I think this image would improve with a bit more levels work to increase contrast, especially in the clouds, then possibly a tweak in Lab to adjust overall lighting. I think many forget or do not attempt a Lab adjustment in their work when often this single step will dramatically make a difference.

12. Eric --great shot, and a very nice website!

Paul

13. Congratulations Eric on getting that lightningbolt after all of the shots you took.

14. That's a great shot Eric

15. THanks Mike, I am working on the image tonight since I have two individuals who want to buy prints already..

Melissa is was a headache trying to catch it.. I knew I only got one since the shutter was open wen I saw the bolt flash..

Thanks Brett...

16. This is a great shot for sure. Nice work.

I luv to take lightning shots! I have had my D70s since June and have not one decent T-Storm to even attempt a lightning shot. In fact, it has barely rained here since June. ARRRRGGGHH! Someday, I will get some lightning shots with my D70s.

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Fantastic image ! It would make a wonderful poster.

Regards

RFC

18. Thanks everyone

19. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, I didn't see this when you first posted it.. Man that is one awesome photograph...

20. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    just amazing.... I hope you have this hanging from a wall in your house