A (Naval) history Post

Real Name
Chris
On this day in 1776, the first salute of the American Flag by a foreign power was rendered by the Dutch at Saint Eustatius, West Indies in response to a salute given by the Continental Ship “Andrew Doria” - As a Navy Chief I love my naval history haha
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

impressive powerful Photo. Everywhere in the USA seems to fly the flag which to us is very odd. I suppose it is to let Americans know they are still in the USA??? :facepalm:

Joking of course

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
impressive powerful Photo. Everywhere in the USA seems to fly the flag which to us is very odd. I suppose it is to let Americans know they are still in the USA??? :facepalm:

Joking of course
Thank you. Lol yes, the American people feel the need to express their patriotism by displaying our national ensign. More so now (post 9/11) than before. Mostly though in our national parks and our sporting events.

We are a nation more reserved in displaying our loyality. However with such a huge intake of immigrants this is not so much the case now. It is even frowned upon if we show our national flag as it could offend those here from abroad.

Real Name
Chris
We are a nation more reserved in displaying our loyality. However with such a huge intake of immigrants this is not so much the case now. It is even frowned upon if we show our national flag as it could offend those here from abroad.
It’s always interesting to me to experience the different cultures and norms elsewhere. I will always look upon my limited time in the UK fondly. Some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to serve with.

Everywhere in the USA seems to fly the flag which to us is very odd.
I wonder if that's because, relative to the developed countries, America is relatively young. Even the national anthem, which is about the flag, was declared as recently as 1931. My guess is that at some point it became a cultural thing to display the flag and the idea has never lost its popularity.

You can fly one if you wish Barry. I often do, in my garden. At appropriate times I also fly English or Scottish flags - SWMBO is of that ilk, so it will be hoisted on 30 November! There is a restriction of 15 feet on the height of pole you can use before planning permission must be obtained. I believe you can fly any national flag without planning permission or any county flag or the flag of any organisation to which the UK belongs eg UN, NATO.

I believe you can fly any national flag without planning permission or any county flag or the flag of any organisation to which the UK belongs eg UN, NATO.
In America, I've never heard of it being illegal to fly any flag. The only restriction I know of is that if the American flag and others are flown on the same property, the American flag must be flown highest.

In America, I've never heard of it being illegal to fly any flag. The only restriction I know of is that if the American flag and others are flown on the same property, the American flag must be flown highest.
And that's good Mike. However, as Barry suggested, it has become a bit more sensitive here with too much "PC" influence. Best to leave it at that rather than stray further into the realms of politics.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom