A "new" beast for my 6D mk II!!

Real Name
Ken St John
There have been a few times where I wish I had a little more reach than my EF 70-200mm f4 L, but the cost of going longer did not seem to match up well with the need. However, I've been keeping my eye on used options and found this one on Adorama. It's a true beast - a 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 with "L" glass (similar to Nikon's gold ring level lens quality). Weighs a ton (actually about 3 pounds) ... so it's a good thing it included a collar!! It's rather unique as it uses a push-pull zoom, and one thing I like is it has a ring that locks it into position. I found this out when I first got it and it seemed so difficult to zoom out!! Thought something was wrong ... until I loosened the collar and it was suddenly nice and smooth!! :shame:
IMG_0148.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_0149.jpeg

I probably won't use this very often, but my initial test shots show it's totally functional and crystal clear.

However, just for fun, I tried it with my Canon 2x converter and it did not seem to work well. Mechanically it seemed to attach OK, but focus and exposure were way off, and autofocus refused to work at all! No big deal, as I really don't need THAT much reach!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Cool! Any pictures taken with it?
A few ... haven't been able to get out much in the past few days.

For reference, here's a "normal" 50mm view from our front porch...
IMG_3549.jpg

Here's the 35-350 at 35mm
IMG_3550.jpg

At 200mm (my previous "limit") ...
IMG_3552.jpg

And now at 350mm ...
IMG_3553.jpg

Obviously I need to get out and try some better subject matter, but the extra reach will come in handy, at times. I do see quite a bit of aberration/distortion at 35mm, but the remaining focal lengths look pretty good.

However, this is not a good candidate for a "walkabout" kind of lens as it's really heavy!! For a while, I had the Nikon 28-300 and used it with my D700 on some trips. I don't remember it being anywhere near as heavy as this beast!!

Canon replaced this lens several years ago with their 28-300mm which weighs in at an even more hefty 3.7 lbs. vs this one's 3.09 lbs. Both are a too heavy for my shoulder!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Yes I see the abberation to but in all fairness Ken the weather is not helpful here, maybe take the same shots a sunny day and most of its gone, its easy to get rid of though in PP. How sharp is this lens at the tele end?

A few ... haven't been able to get out much in the past few days.

For reference, here's a "normal" 50mm view from our front porch...
View attachment 1673748
Here's the 35-350 at 35mm
View attachment 1673749
At 200mm (my previous "limit") ...
View attachment 1673750
And now at 350mm ...
View attachment 1673751
Obviously I need to get out and try some better subject matter, but the extra reach will come in handy, at times. I do see quite a bit of aberration/distortion at 35mm, but the remaining focal lengths look pretty good.

However, this is not a good candidate for a "walkabout" kind of lens as it's really heavy!! For a while, I had the Nikon 28-300 and used it with my D700 on some trips. I don't remember it being anywhere near as heavy as this beast!! Canon replaced this lens several years ago with their 28-300mm and it weighs in at about 3.7 lbs. vs this one's 3.09 lbs. Both are a little too heavy for my shoulder!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Yes I see the abberation to but in all fairness Ken the weather is not helpful here, maybe take the same shots a sunny day and most of its gone, its easy to get rid of though in PP. How sharp is this lens at the tele end?
You're right about the weather and I haven't had a chance to get out on a nice day yet.

So far it looks pretty sharp at 350mm (last image above). Because of the weather, I had to bump up the ISO a bit (1,000) in order to get a steady shot handheld. Even when I look at it at 100%, it seems pretty good.

This is a 100% screen capture (iMac Retina)...
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 9.37.20 AM.png

Not bad for handheld!!

I see some real possibilities for this on a tripod at some of my favorite locales.

Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom